• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Samsung's TouchWiz preventing Galaxy S owners from getting Android 4.0 ICS

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Here's a simple solution: don't apply TouchWiz. Problem solved.

I find it amusing that everyone seems to think that this is Google's/Android's fault. To quote the post:
The Samsung Galaxy S smartphone and 7-inch Galaxy Tab will not receive the latest version of Android, because Samsung has said its custom TouchWiz user interface, not Google's operating system, is too taxing on the hardware
Did any of the posters in that thread read any further than "Android" before making wild accusations that are addressed further in that first sentence? That thread is a fanboy convention at best with no semblance of critical thinking or logic for kilometres.

Here are some quotes that are worth looking (laughing) at:
Android is such an abortion of a product.......
The Android slogan should be "...but we are winning!"
My favourite though:
Android: fail on "whatever the ffff fancy name" release that is not compatible with any hardware released yesterday;
Evidently that poster didn't read the part that said that ICS would run just fine on the hardware. This is what bugs me - everyone jumping all over a product when the smallest opportunity presents itself.

I'm not defending Android - don't own a device with it and probably won't for the foreseeable future. That said, unlike the vapidity that is rampant in that thread, I can see the positives and negatives of both Android and iOS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff

I find it amusing that everyone seems to think that this is Google's/Android's fault. To quote the post:Did any of the posters in that thread read any further than "Android" before making wild accusations that are addressed further in that first sentence? That thread is a fanboy convention at best with no semblance of critical thinking or logic for kilometres.

Here are some quotes that are worth looking (laughing) at:My favourite though:Evidently that poster didn't read the part that said that ICS would run just fine on the hardware. This is what bugs me - everyone jumping all over a product when the smallest opportunity presents itself.

I'm not defending Android - don't own a device with it and probably won't for the foreseeable future. That said, unlike the vapidity that is rampant in that thread, I can see the positives and negatives of both Android and iOS.

I have to agree with you on this. Any android devices I may have are generally for testing purposes only, my personal/work phone is an iPhone 4, and will likely stay that way. It's good to have some semblance of sanity or objectivity when chatting about these differences, pros and cons between platforms, something that unfortunately seems rare on some forums I've been around. So hats off to your post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
Frustrating for the user, that's for sure... All of them will have the ability to root the phone and install some version of Android 4, but it's certainly not as convenient as just downloading the update.

Honestly, glad that I don't need to worry about my phone not being able to receive updates. One of the reasons that I will be sticking with the iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the truth is, I know many iphone users who are still running older os versions. Not because they don't want to update, but either don't know, or don't care.

Not long ago, I was shocked to see my wife's iphone still running an older os4, and her mbp behind quite a few point releases. She looked at me weird when I was sputtering as to how this could be.

Apple does make the update thing much easier and more accessible though, so many more users are up to date.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...

I find it amusing that everyone seems to think that this is Google's/Android's fault. To quote the post:Did any of the posters in that thread read any further than "Android" before making wild accusations that are addressed further in that first sentence? That thread is a fanboy convention at best with no semblance of critical thinking or logic for kilometres.

Here are some quotes that are worth looking (laughing) at:My favourite though:Evidently that poster didn't read the part that said that ICS would run just fine on the hardware. This is what bugs me - everyone jumping all over a product when the smallest opportunity presents itself.

Due to the rep feedback from some klutz, I am led to believe that your reply was meant for me, and with that, I reply with stating why I stated fragmentation. TouchWiz is not something that is optional by the end-user. It is given by the device maker as an "extra" enhancing feature for the regular Android os. Everyone wants their own os design for a single hardware device, and in the end, the user is the one who suffers needlessly, in the case of the Galaxy from a hardware's point of view of being able to use the A4-ICS...which is something that I actually am interested in switching to. Fragmentation? Definitely! Now, if Samsung used their TouchWiz on their Bada OS, then fragmentation would not apply at all.

So...got "told?" LOL. I'll let your silly mind believe it.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Due to the rep feedback from some klutz, I am led to believe that your reply was meant for me, and with that, I reply with stating why I stated fragmentation.
It wasn't meant for you at all - it was a reply to the thread that you linked to in your first post. Thats why I quoted it and not you. ;)

I'm not here to defend Android. To be honest, as someone who still uses a "dumb phone," I could care less about mobile phone operating systems. What I am frustrated at is people blaming one group for something that has nothing to do with them. In this case, the posters in that thread were jumping on Google and Android for something that had nothing to do with their product(s). This is why I referenced the parts of their thread that highlight this.

As you can see then, my frustration has everything to do with overzealous fanboys who want to craft tenuous links between anything somewhat negative and the competition. That thread is the perfect shining example of everything that is wrong with apologists - a complacency that precludes self-critical reflection of one's own beliefs complemented by an unreserved criticism of something else at all costs and without hesitation.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
It wasn't meant for you at all - it was a reply to the thread that you linked to in your first post. Thats why I quoted it and not you. ;)

I'm not here to defend Android. To be honest, as someone who still uses a "dumb phone," I could care less about mobile phone operating systems. What I am frustrated at is people blaming one group for something that has nothing to do with them. In this case, the posters in that thread were jumping on Google and Android for something that had nothing to do with their product(s). This is why I referenced the parts of their thread that highlight this.

As you can see then, my frustration has everything to do with overzealous fanboys who want to craft tenuous links between anything somewhat negative and the competition. That thread is the perfect shining example of everything that is wrong with apologists - a complacency that precludes self-critical reflection of one's own beliefs complemented by an unreserved criticism of something else at all costs and without hesitation.

Lol. I didn't think so, which is why I didn't respond, but they had me second guessing myself. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

again well said. I've often taken the position without bias in the face of posters repeating someone's blog as gospel truth only to be attacked and called [insert company name here] shill over and over.

I never understood the blind faith and the intensity of attacks if one were to criticize something about say apple, or simply set the record straight.

There's nothing really to be gained from misinformation, or blind faith.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Here is a good picture to show the fragmentation of Android.
Charted: Android Fragmentation | TechCrunch

This is my biggest beef with Android. It is up to the Manufacturers and Carriers to update the phone - and there were promises made that certain phones would get newer OSes - and never came about.
http://www.businessinsider.com/samsung-galaxy-s-phones-ice-cream-sandwich-update-2011-12
It also means Samsung is basically throwing its pledge to the Android "Alliance" that it will keep devices released within 18 months updated with the latest version of the OS out the window.
Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/sams...e-cream-sandwich-update-2011-12#ixzz1hq9Bl5Eg
Motorola puts a Motoblur UI on top of Android which also slows things down. I have nothing against Android - it is a fine OS. When people ask though - I always recommend getting a Nexus (Seems to be the only untouched Android OS) - so that you don't get all the extra bloat from manufacturers and you tend to have an upgrade path.

Google has tightened down to help stop fragmentation.
Google tightening control of Android, insisting licensees abide by 'non-fragmentation clauses'? -- Engadget
DailyTech - Report: Google Wants More Control of Android to Stop Fragmentation

Also - I don't think you can just get rid of TouchWiz or Motoblur or any other customization. It is like customizing an ipsw restore as far as I can tell. For example
Samsung Galaxy S Ice Cream Sandwich ROM hits release candidate | Ubergizmo
XDA Developers have been around forever and hack away at many mobile phones - but it is just that - a hack.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I never understood the blind faith and the intensity of attacks if one were to criticize something about say apple, or simply set the record straight.

There's nothing really to be gained from misinformation, or blind faith.
If only more people approached things with this thought process, we'd be better off. :)

This is my biggest beef with Android. It is up to the Manufacturers and Carriers to update the phone - and there were promises made that certain phones would get newer OSes - and never came about.
Fragmentation is no doubt an issue. What I think most people fail to recognize is what you've pointed out here - this has little to do with Google and everything to do with <insert brand here>. Although Google could have stopped this by being more restrictive with the licence, the fault really lies with the hardware developers. This is why such attacks against Android are largely ludicrous. From where I sit in fact, many of the attacks against Android rarely target the platform. It becomes a bit of a straw man situation in some respects.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If only more people approached things with this thought process, we'd be better off. :)

well we all know we love apple stuff. Hanging at a mac forum should say it all! Besides, it -is-, just a phone afterall :)

Well with that I'm off to vegas then LA and further south for a few weeks, happy new year to all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
Besides, it -is-, just a phone afterall :)

At my offices it may as well be refighting the Crusades...

Everyone in my main office has an iPhone. Literally, every employee. Spent one day visiting a different office to work on a project over there and everyone has an Android device. I was not aware of this at the time. You should have seen the glares that I got when I set my iPhone on the desk. It was as though I walked into a mosque eating a bacon sandwich... One of those; "don't you know that's not 'OK' here" moments... :D

When I went to lunch with a colleague over there I was extolled on the virtues of the DROID. Couldn't help but laugh when I corrected him to "Android" and got a puzzled look in return.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
What I think most people fail to recognize is what you've pointed out here - this has little to do with Google and everything to do with <insert brand here>. Although Google could have stopped this by being more restrictive with the licence, the fault really lies with the hardware developers. This is why such attacks against Android are largely ludicrous. From where I sit in fact, many of the attacks against Android rarely target the platform. It becomes a bit of a straw man situation in some respects.

While I agree with that statement the whole subject of fragmentation makes me understand why Google announced last week that they are going to jump feet first into their own market by building their own device to run Android. If none of this is really Googles own fault then they wouldn't feel the need to jump into the fray and offer an "iPad killer" which would likely be a gateway to more Google built hardware. After all these years, MS has never felt compelled to build it's own PC (well, Maybe the X-Box counts...) to show the world "how it's done" yet after only a few years Google feels compelled to make it's own hardware...

Google CEO Says Android Will Have 'Tablet of Highest Quality' Within Six Months

The fanboyism on that linked page is entertaining though...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.