INFO: Optimizing a Mac for DJing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
I originally wrote this for the Native Instruments' Traktor DJ Forum but figured it would benefit here also...

I have an '07 MBP with OS 10.6.8 and these are the things I do to optimize my notebook when using Traktor Pro 2 and other music applications...

1) Max out RAM.
2) Upgrade internal hard-drive to 7200RPM. See the difference: speed comparison : 2010 i7 MacBook Pro 5400 vs 7200 rpm hdd
3) Update Programs/Applications to the most stable version. (*See Appfresh)
4) Use an external powered Firewire 800 HD and eSATA to store/load music and music projects. (I don't have USB3 or Thunderbolt)
5) Disable BlueTooth, WI-FI (AirPort), Expose (and Acitive Screen Corners), Spaces, Dashboard and TimeMachine.
6) Run "Activity Monitor" and quit processes not needed in the background.
*** USE CAUTION QUITTING PROCESSES YOU DON'T KNOW ABOUT! ***
7) Remove all the clutter from Desktop and quit apps running on "Menu Bar".
8) Change "Energy Saver" settings to "Never" for both Battery and Power Adapter settings. Untick/uncheck "Put the hard disks to sleep when possible".
9) Delete all Languages not needed. Not necessary but adds more HD space. (*See Monolingual)
10) Run “Disk Utility” and “Repair Disk Permissions” on system hard drive. (*See ACLr8)

*As a DJ, Your laptop is your instrument now. As much as a guitar is to a guitarist and the drums to a drummer.

Please add more helpful info...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.