• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

How do you get a job with Apple?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3GS Black, Macbook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Hello.

I been wondering what I want to do with my life. I'm 16, and know I want to get into the technology field. I been reading all the news on Google News about some of the major companies with technology like Apple, Google, Microsoft, Ect. And I was wondering what it takes to get a job with Apple. What do I have to study, and what is the route and the starting point for actually working for Apple?

I have read the page on the Apple website with getting jobs with them and what they do, but they don't quite explain how you start.

Reaction score
Most likely you need a technology/computer/programming related degree. A good college diploma in those related fields are a good start if you want to go the job route

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
There are many kinds of jobs are Apple and other technology companies. There are electrical/hardware engineering positions that target the actual hardware that Apple creates. Then there are software engineering positions that deal with writing software for the hardware the EE's are creating. There are mechanical engineering positions that deal with the enclosures for the hardware and other related items and finally industrial/interaction design that deal with the design/aesthetics/UI/look and feel of Apple products..

Now there are just some of the engineering positions, within each of those 4 there are specialties that you can focus on.

In addition to the engineering jobs, there are obviously other things like marketing, sales, accounting and so on..

At 16, you are entering high school I imagine, so see where your interests lie, talk to adults in various fields and learn about their jobs..

Focusing on one company this early in your life isn't really something that makes sense, you should focus more on figuring out where your interests lie and then go from there..

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Do you mean working in Apple Retail, or part of the engineering, marketing teams?

My advice would be to start somewhere. Not necessarily Apple to begin with, but aim towards it. Any job is a good job on a CV, because it shows your hard working and committed to your work, making you more employable. Work your way up from there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which one?
My advice would be to decide what you want to do - not who do you want to work for. Companies come and go - even Apple was on the verge of bankruptcy not so long ago.

Currently, I work for a large company where I manage a team of folks that maintain servers, desktops and workstations in 14 different countries.

I also have a creative business on the side. I can tell you that I gain much more joy from that small creative business than I do from working for someone else.

I am now in my early 40's. If I had it to do all over again, I would have done whatever I could to make sure I can support myself without having to rely on working for someone else - even if the company could have been Apple.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3GS Black, Macbook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Do you mean working in Apple Retail, or part of the engineering, marketing teams?

My advice would be to start somewhere. Not necessarily Apple to begin with, but aim towards it. Any job is a good job on a CV, because it shows your hard working and committed to your work, making you more employable. Work your way up from there.

Thanks for all of your respondents. It's a good idea to start somewhere else, because aiming high as Apple might not get me too far like one said. But I do imagine to start somewhere in the field of technology. And I do think I am more interested in the hardware then the other stuff. But I guess I will see when I head off to college. Thanks for all your responds.

Reaction score
Depending on your current background and future interests, I would suggest considering the app developer route. This way, you can learn coding for an ever-growing field, and by the time you finish school you would be in high demand. Granted, you would not work directly for Apple right away, but you could be developing for apps on their market. If one would happen to go big, well then you would have the leverage needed to get into any of the larger companies. A buddy of mine just finished up a contract with Best Buy, and it paid very, very well and he actually rather enjoyed it too.

Reaction score
You certainly have to bring the skills to the table to get into these big companies right off the bat, these skills can be developed in college and even on your own if you have the passion for it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Thanks for all of your respondents. It's a good idea to start somewhere else, because aiming high as Apple might not get me too far like one said. But I do imagine to start somewhere in the field of technology. And I do think I am more interested in the hardware then the other stuff. But I guess I will see when I head off to college. Thanks for all your responds.

EE, if you're interested in the tech side of the hardware. Industrial design, if you're interested in the exterior of the beasts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
Having a friend who is down in Cupertino the one thing that he said was the biggest factor was a great resume. Computer Science degree, and RIGHT to work after school for a local software company. Got set as the head of a few projects because of all his hard work. Set himself apart there and then when the opportunity opened up at Apple he jumped on it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.