Using Microsoft Keyboard layout

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air i5 1.70GHz 4GB
I've got my Macbook happily dual booting with both Windows 7 and the native Mac OS however I'm having trouble getting the keyboard layouts right.

I'm used to using the Microsoft British key layout - and the Mac British key layout seems to be more like the Microsoft U.S. key layout in that some of the keys are swapped over:
" and @
~ and |
and the Mac keyboard doesn't even have a # key on it, I need to use [Alt 3]

I've got a Microstof style USB keyboard plugged in and I've set all the language options in Windows to use the non-Apple version - but all the keys are still using the Apple mappings - which means they don't correspond with my physical keyboard

Does anyone know where I can get a Microsoft Keyboard mapping for Windows 7? I've seen a few posts that link to a place where you can get a Microsoft key mapping for Mac OS - this will be useful if I want to use my USB keyboard from the Mac boot - but I can't seem to find anything to get the Windows side to map correctly.

Any pointers would be appreciated

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Seems like a lot of trouble to go through when you can buy a British Apple aluminum keyboard to use instead. Have you thought about doing that? I have no idea what the cost would be where you are but here in the States that keyboard sells for $49.99. (wired)

OP
GirlCalledPete
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi chscag - thanks for the reply :)

Actually I usually just kinda inherit hardware from the debris left by other developers, so I'd rather not have to buy new kit if possible.

However, I did have a look at the British Apple keyboards and they seem to have the same basic layout as the one on the Macbook Air - i.e. the keys are swapped over from the IBM/Microsoft layout. If I want to use a Apple format keyboard I can use the British Apple keyboard on the laptop itself - but this usually means when I'm typing quickly I end up typing email addresses like: someone"somewhere.com

Actually - If I could figure out a way of setting the native laptop keyboard up to the IBM/Microsoft layout I could ignore the fact that the keys were marked differently (my fingers know where they expect the keys to be, so if I don't look at the keyboard I'll be fine!)

:)

OP
GirlCalledPete
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just a note to say - I have resolved this quirk by installing alternative Keyboard Drivers on Windows 7

I picked up some Logitec drivers here : Logitec

Then set the USB keybord to use these drivers. Since the keyboard I have uses the same basic key mappings as the logitec one, it now works as expected :)

(and the Mac Keyboard still behaves like a Mac one - which is nice)

:)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for posting back. Have fun and visit us often.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.