64 or 32 bit Windows 7 in Virtual Box Matter?

Reaction score
Hi All,

My name is Colin and as of today the proud owner of a macbook pro as got totally fed up with windows PC.

I have a couple of work programs that I cannot either afford to but mac yet (autocad) or can't get (microsoft project) so unfortunately still need windows!

I am planning to run windows in virtual box or parallels so I dont have to reboot into windows.

I have bought copy of windows 7 home edition and it has 32 and 64 bit disks. Now my autocad is 64 bit and I dont think microsoft project matters.

My question is can I install windows 7 32 bit and install 64 bit programs to work? I am guessing not. Also does it matter to the mac and virtual box which windows I am running as I dont know what macbook pro 15" is bit wise.

Any help much appreciated.

Colin Heath

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi Colin, and Welcome to the Mac Forums.

A bit of advice: If you intend to run AutoCad from Windows, I recommend instead of using virtual software, that you setup a dual boot scenario using the Boot Camp Assistant. That will allow Windows 7 to run natively on your new MacBook Pro. You would of course need to install Windows 7 x 64 bit in order to run AutoCad x 64 bit.

VirtualBox to the best of my understanding will not run 64 bit Windows apps. I may be wrong about that if they have since updated their engine. However, you would not get the full power of Windows 7 when run in VB in order to take advantage of AutoCad.

Be sure to read the help file (PDF) for the Boot Camp Assistant. You will need to download a driver disk image from Apple as part of the installation, so be sure you do not miss that step.

OP
C
Reaction score
Hi Colin, and Welcome to the Mac Forums.

A bit of advice: If you intend to run AutoCad from Windows, I recommend instead of using virtual software, that you setup a dual boot scenario using the Boot Camp Assistant. That will allow Windows 7 to run natively on your new MacBook Pro. You would of course need to install Windows 7 x 64 bit in order to run AutoCad x 64 bit.

VirtualBox to the best of my understanding will not run 64 bit Windows apps. I may be wrong about that if they have since updated their engine. However, you would not get the full power of Windows 7 when run in VB in order to take advantage of AutoCad.

Be sure to read the help file (PDF) for the Boot Camp Assistant. You will need to download a driver disk image from Apple as part of the installation, so be sure you do not miss that step.

Thanks for the reply. I have installed 64 bit Windows. I have a 2007LT copy that is 32 bit so will try that first and will upgrade to a mac version when funds allow.

There is only one program stopping me changing over to Mac completely and thats Microsoft Project! I can find lots of Mac programs that claim compatibility with MS Project. The file formats they use have been phased out 10years ago now so any modern copy of MS office wont open them.

Cheers

Colin

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There is only one program stopping me changing over to Mac completely and thats Microsoft Project! I can find lots of Mac programs that claim compatibility with MS Project. The file formats they use have been phased out 10years ago now so any modern copy of MS office wont open them.

Unfortunately, there is no Mac equivalent to Project, at least anything that approaches it. For several years I had the same difficulty with finding an equivalent program to MS Publisher but finally found one that is as good.

For the time being you probably will need to run Windows in some form in order to use Project. VirtualBox should suffice. But as I mentioned to you in my first reply, in order to run your AutoCad x 64 bit, you definitely would need to install Windows 7 x 64 bit using the Boot Camp Assistant.

Reaction score
64 or 32 bit system builder

Should I buy a system builder Windows 7 32 or 64 bit version?

I intend to run a few simple programs in Windows (e.g. Tunebite) probably via Virtual Box.

I had Windows XP, but did a restore from Time Machine and lost the Windows partition, and now I can't find the install DVD...classic mistake.

The prices are the same for XP or Windows 7 32 or 64 bit on Amazon.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I recommend using Windows 7 x 64 bit if you intend to install it via the Boot Camp Assistant and create a dual boot. However, since VirtualBox is going to be used, it may be better to buy the 32 bit version unless VB is now supporting 64 bit. Keep in mind that the 32 bit version of Windows 7 like other 32 bit operating systems will only support 3.3 GB of memory.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
VirtualBox supports both the 32 and 64 bit versions of Windows 7, Vista, XP, 2003, 2008 and 2008 R2 (see here for the complete list). I can verify this as well - I use Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 in VirtualBox.

That said, the question that remains is: do you need a 64-bit virtual machine? I'd suggest that if you're getting the 64-bit version because you need the extra RAM, you'd be better off using Boot Camp.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Van. It's been awhile since I looked at VB and really wasn't sure that 64 bit was supported. Now I know. :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
No problem. :)

I had to double check but I remebered seeing a 64-bit option in the machine setup wizard. It would seem though that you've been using VB for much longer than I since I always remember it being present. I may be wrong here though ;).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.