issues running SW: The Old Republic in bootcamp Windows 7.

Reaction score
so I have iMac "Core 2 Duo" 3.06 21.5-Inch (Late 2009) Specs (Late 2009, MB950LL/A*, iMac10,1, A1311, 2308) @ EveryMac.com
Ive installed all the drivers and found the updated Graphics driver for the GeForce 9400 and The Game plays super slow on low settings... Am I wrong in thinking it should play pretty smooth? I have Seen in other posts that people are praising how well it runs on older mac books and iMacs... Is 4GBs of Ram not enough?
Any tips or help are greatly appreciated:) thanks in advance!
Bill

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Several things come to mind here.... The nVidia GeoForce 9400 uses 256 MB of shared memory on your machine. It is not a dedicated graphics chipset. The other is that if you're running Windows 7 x 32 bit, you don't have 4 GB of memory. You only have 3.3 GB of memory because that's the amount a 32 bit system will recognize. If you have the 64 bit version of Windows 7, then all 4 GB of memory is recognized. But in any event, the big bottle neck is your graphics controller.

OP
W
Reaction score
so, would adding ram help, do you think? or is this comp basically obsolete for gaming about 2 years later?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I would look at upgrading to the 64-bit version of Windows 7 so that you can actually address the full 4GB. As it stands now, you can only see a little over 3GB and some of that is likely tied up supplying video RAM.

Reaction score
Its not that the computer is obsolete it is that you bought one without a fully dedicated graphics adapter which by definition is not going to perform as well as a computer with one, whether in Windows under BC or in OSX. Adding more RAM may help slightly and is probably worth a try.

Cheers

OP
W
Reaction score
I bought a copy of Windows 7 64 bit and updated all the drivers and its still near imposable to play, guess next investment will be memory.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please take note of my first reply..... your big bottleneck is the graphics controller on your iMac. No matter how much memory you add to the iMac it's not going to increase the amount of VRAM (video memory) available to the graphics controller. Sorry to say but you really would need a new machine with a dedicated graphics chipset and adequate video memory in order to play most graphical intensive games.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.