From iPAD to MiniMac

Reaction score
OK, here's my problem. My mom in law operates an iPAD1 as her primary computer. Her old PC, to which the iPAD is tethered is old and small and so can't keep up with upgrades. So, I convinced her to buy a refurbished MiniMac from the Apple store. How do I tether her iPAD to the MiniMac without losing her pictures and files on the iPAD (if possible). I tried to upgrade her system to iOS 5 from my MAC but it informed me that in doing so the iPAD would lose it's data. I think she'd be primarily concerned with her pictures. Most of the apps she could reload from her iTunes account. Her old PC is outmoded; I'd hate to get involved with that machine. Besides, right now it is 300 miles away. She hasn't used it in over a year so there can't be anything on it that is critical except for the fact that the iPAD was tethered to it when she first bought the iPAD. Thanks for any info.:Confused:

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
OK, here's my problem. My mom in law operates an iPAD1 as her primary computer. Her old PC, to which the iPAD is tethered is old and small and so can't keep up with upgrades. So, I convinced her to buy a refurbished MiniMac from the Apple store. How do I tether her iPAD to the MiniMac without losing her pictures and files on the iPAD (if possible). I tried to upgrade her system to iOS 5 from my MAC but it informed me that in doing so the iPAD would lose it's data. I think she'd be primarily concerned with her pictures. Most of the apps she could reload from her iTunes account. Her old PC is outmoded; I'd hate to get involved with that machine. Besides, right now it is 300 miles away. She hasn't used it in over a year so there can't be anything on it that is critical except for the fact that the iPAD was tethered to it when she first bought the iPAD. Thanks for any info.:Confused:

You can use Migration Assistant to transfer her setup and data from her PC to her Mac Mini. Then sync her iPad to the Mini.

There are other, manual options, but this is probably simplest.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4796

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.