PDA

View Full Version : Programs don't run.

slarsen
12-14-2011, 05:14 PM
Hello everyone. I just got a mac the other day and i have a few questions. I've found that programs that I downloaded to my PC won't download for the mac. Instead a text file comes up saying this "This program cannot be run in DOS mode." Is there anything I can do/download to fix this?

Raz0rEdge
12-14-2011, 05:18 PM
You are downloading programs meant to work on a Mac or Windows programs? Point us to a program.

These are two different OS' that don't share applications..

Chuckoir
12-14-2011, 05:20 PM
Have you downloaded the Mac versions for these programmes?

If I understand what you're saying, Macs natively won't run windows' versions of software unless you use a windows virtualiser such as VMWare or Parallels, or you install windows on your Mac via boot camp.

Edit: Too slow! ;)

slarsen
12-15-2011, 05:10 PM
Yeah the problem was that lycos rhapsody wasn't downloading. I was told the other day that I don't need to download it. But I'm now interested in downloading either parallels or VMware. Which one would you recommend?

Chuckoir
12-15-2011, 05:18 PM
To be perfectly honest with you, I don't use either. But from what I understand they are both much of a muchness. You can download a trial of Parallels if you wanted to give that a whirl, from their website.

From what I can see, Parallels is roughly twice the price of VMWare... So there must be something in it... Hopefully, someone else will chime in.

As an aside - What is Lycos Rhapsody?! I Googled it, and it looks like it's some kind of music streaming service?!

slarsen
12-15-2011, 05:55 PM
Yeah Lycos Rhapsody is a streaming service. They have quite a library of music. And for about $14 (not 100% sure about the price) you can stream it to your computer or smartphone (need the app). If i'm not mistaken they have a 14 day trial. Give it a shot.

cradom
12-15-2011, 09:08 PM
Itunes has internet radio...and it's FREE.
See, we can advertise too :)

SammySlim
12-16-2011, 10:46 AM
To install windows in a virtual machine, you can use either Parallels or VM Ware Fusion, which cost $$ but both have downloadable trial versions. For a single user windows installation, the differences are mostly stylistic. Try both and see which you like. You can also download and install VirtualBox from Sun- it's free, not quite as feature-rich as the other 2 but did I mention it's free?? That's what I use.

Either way, you'll need to purchase a new copy of Windows.

Good luck!

slarsen
12-22-2011, 03:07 PM
Touché Cradom :Smirk:. Alright everyone thanks for the input.

cradom
12-22-2011, 04:13 PM
Sorry, nothing personal. The spammers are getting sneaky here :)