Scanner won't work on Adobe CS5

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 16 Inch 2019 MacOS Catalina 10.15.3 (19D76)
I am trying to get my old Epson Perfection 1940SU to scan in Adobe Photoshop CS5 on my Mac OSX Lion iMac. It doesn't give me that option. Does anyone have any straight forward suggestion on how to fix this problem?
Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Adobe didn't include scanning out of the box. They have a plugin available on their support site.

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay thanks. Any idea what I should download? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2 GHz i7, 4 GB RAM
Interesting, Mike. Thanks for the link. This is one feature I really miss since I've moved up to CS5 on my MBP.

I have an old Canon Canoscan 4400F set up to attach (when needed) to my MBP, and I've worked around this by just using the CanoScan Toolbox. Before I installed the scanner on my computer, though, I made sure to download and install the latest driver and software straight from the Canon website, which has worked well. I set up the toolbox to open scanned images straight into PS, so not having the TWAIN capability hasn't really been an issue.

Perhaps this will work with an Epson, too? The only reason I suggest this is because the Adobe website does mention that this plug in may cause crashes, which I have experienced with PS every once in a while with this machine. The crashes don't seem to occur (according to the multiple posts on the Adobe boards) in Lion, but they do in Snow Leopard (which I have).

Just a thought for others like me who work with scanners and PS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Donno, I use VueScan. Of course, I also have an 08 MBP dedicated to nothing but image scanning soo...

which, btw, works QUITE nicely with my epson v750

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2 GHz i7, 4 GB RAM
And, as stated, this method (using the Canon toolbox and then PS in combination rather than the TWAIN) has worked well for me since I bought this MBP last March and installed the CS5 suite.

I love using my flatbed scanner because it has the capability to scan slides and negatives, so I was determined to figure out a way to make it work. It did take a bit of fiddling within the Canon software, but otherwise it does work like a charm, and I am able to scan in old prints in high resolution.

Since I've been able to avoid PS crashes for about the past month or so by changing some of my behavior (it was mainly crashing at quit), I'm a little gun-shy about messing with it, particularly if it involves installing something that is prone to cause it to crash. PS can be quite finicky at times.

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I downloaded the Twain plug in and followed the installing instructions below but I still can't find the Twain option. It used to be in the Import window. What might I be doing wrong?
Thanks

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

1. Download plugin update
2. Double click .dmg to mount it
3. Open mounted image
4. Drag and drop (or copy and paste) TWAIN.plugin to Applications\Adobe Photoshop CS5\Plug-ins\Import-Export
5. Relaunch PS

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.