• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

10.4.3 Released

L

lil

Hiya,

Quickie, 10.4.3 is now available.

Searched the forum and no previous posts announcing this being available were found, so hope this isn't a duplicate!

Vicky

OP
M

menace3054

lil said:
Hiya,

Quickie, 10.4.3 is now available.

Searched the forum and no previous posts announcing this being available were found, so hope this isn't a duplicate!

Vicky

thanks for the heads up. i hope it makes my computer run smoother!

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
The update went fine for both of my macs. Both of my macs took awhile to boot up after the installation, which made me kind of nervous, but all is well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
so what is this update supposed to fix?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram
Bugs as usual, nothing interesting. Although the splash animation for widgets seems to be a lot smoother and quicker loading though.

OP
L

lil

MacHelp is still broken. Still can't get the OS X help :(

And yes you can delete preference files but it breaks after a day or two for me every time....

Disappointing that this still is an issue (and not just my PowerBook)...

Vicky

OP
B

badmojo

Fyi, from the software updater:

"The 10.4.3 Update delivers overall improved reliability and compatibility for Mac OS X v10.4 and is recommended for all users.

It includes fixes for:

- AFP, SMB/CIFS, NFS and FTP network file services
- AirPort and Bluetooth wireless access
- Core Graphics, Core Audio, Core Image, and RAW camera support
- disc recording when creating and burning media
- .Mac sync services
- Spotlight indexing and searching
- Dashboard widgets: Dictionary, Flight Tracker, Stickies, and Unit Converter
- Address Book, AppleScript, Automator, Dictionary, Font Book, iCal, iSync, Mail, and Safari applications
- Disk Utility, Keychain Access, Migration Assistant, and Software Update
- compatibility with third party applications and devices
- previous standalone security updates"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I'd strongly recommend downloading the combo updater directly from Apple's site rather than using the update through Software Update if possible. There's a ton of stuff fixed and you want to be sure that you get everything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
I just updated and all is well (I took Schweb's advice and got the combo updater)

Reaction score
whats the difference between the combo and the regular software update? i just updated using the software update. what if i also download the combo from the apple website? do i just run the combo update on top my already updated system?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" 2.8ghz Macbook Pro, 32GB iPhone 4
I stopped the Software Update 30mb into it, in order to d/l the ~97mb Combo Update.

Do I have to go somewhere in particular to delete the 30 or so MB I started to d/l?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I followed Schweb's excellent suggestion and downloaded the 105MB Combo uptate of 10.4.3. All worked great. The Network not always showing from the GO is fixed. Safari totally passes the AcidTest2. I checked it side by side with the reference and it's perfect. Before this Opera was the closest but on my Mac Mini Safari 2.0.2 is 100% perfect. I read some on OS news saying it was not and the nose was different. Not here. Not at all. Maybe it's because I did the Combo update. Am very impressed so far.

A note to Vickie, Mac Help works perfectally here. I do not know what is up on your Powerbook.

OP
L

lil

I downloaded via Software Update, it was 97MB and everything that seemed to be updated with 10.4.3 has been e.g: Safari is now 2.02 and iCal is 2.05 and so on..

As for Mac Help, I have seen this happen on other Al PowerBooks from the Jan 05 refresh. It works for around a day or so but soon thereafter breaks; and I am at a loss as to what is causing it, maybe the CD has a corrupt Mac Help file that just breaks.

I also kept an eye on what I installed but there was nothing I could pinpoint that I installed which lead to Mac Help breaking.

Ahhh well..

Vicky

Reaction score
I tried it both ways. On the Pm i used the update and it installed just fine and seems to be working great. Safari seems to be a bit quicker, but so far i really don't see much difference, of course i wasn't having any problems with 10.2

On the iMac i downloaded the dmg and ran it, it too installed just fine and it too seems to be running just fine. But, once again it wasn't having any problems with 10.2 either.

OP
D

dlisle20

i just noticed that on the info of a document ot now says 'arcitechture: PowerPC' does this mean the new intel's will be here soon?

OP
S

sursuciofla

What is the kind of Mac that "lil" uses as avatar? my parents still have theirs and it looks like that. I guess I could always call.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
sursuciofla said:
What is the kind of Mac that "lil" uses as avatar? my parents still have theirs and it looks like that. I guess I could always call.

That is one of the origional Macs from the 1980's like the 128, 512k or Plus.

OP
L

lil

The 'happy mac' has been with the Macintosh since the very first 1984 Macintosh 128K.

Happy mac has been sorely missing since Jaguary where it is alleged Steve Jobs was only to glad to get rid of the 'smirking' happy mac. Of course its cousin Death Mac passed on many years ago. On some later Power Macintoshes, Happy Mac became colour.

However, on my Power Macintosh 8500 and IIfx, it's the lickle black and white happy 128K Mac on a dithered background. Always a nice little thing to have pop up. Shortly after Happy Mac said hello, if a disk was in the drive or boot disk found, you'd get the Welcome to Macintosh box with the arty Macintosh logo (the abstract looking one in the primary colours). My IIfx still does as it's on 7.5.3.

As for my PowerBook G4.

Imagine BootX 2 :flower:

The happy mac has gotten rid of the dreary grey apple, and welcomes with a smile :flower: A rather longwinded load of stuff, but you know -- Happy Mac has a place in my heart hehe

Vicky

OP
H

h46it

Hello,

I was wonderin if anyone has had any problems with the update. I just installed it on my G4 400 yesterday thru the software update. Its was running fine until i had to just shut down my computer. For some reason it wouldn't start up at all. I would be stuck on the startup bar. It would just freeze. I had to safe boot it get the computer running even. I'm going to d/l the 97mb file and install that too see that will clear things up! I'll keep everyone posted!

Reaction score
lil said:
The happy mac has gotten rid of the dreary grey apple, and welcomes with a smile :flower: A rather longwinded load of stuff, but you know -- Happy Mac has a place in my heart hehe

I must admit to missing the Smiling Mac when I log on in the morning. Scarily I reckon I first saw that icon on an orginal Mac Classic we used for CAD design in the late 80s. Was sad when they removed it from the boot up screen.

Are you saying there is a way of getting it back?

Tris...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.