Turn off sleep

K

kb9skw.net

I just got a 800MHz G4 iBook. 640MB RAM with a 40GB hard drive. AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth. For the most part I am liking it so far. My one problem is how do I disable the laptop from going into sleep mode when I close the screen. When running off the battery this is ok, but when I am at home I may be listening to some tunes on it but do not need the LCD open. I turned off Sleep in the power settings for under AC power but it still sleeps.

Suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
you can not disable sleep for when the lid is closed

OP
S

stew

and theres a very good reason, having the lid closed prevents heat from escaping so your iBook will heat up alot and shut itself down to protect itself

OP
M

mschief02

downloads running while sleep mode on?

I currently own an iBook G4 933 and am VERY pleased with it. I just can't get over how @#&*% quiet it is!! I don't even know if its on or off sometime. Anyway, one question about sleep mode. I download lots of stuff and sometimes can take days or even weeks. I know that I can't disable sleep mode, but is there a way that I can have my internet connection still running while it is in sleep mode?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
mschief02 said:
I know that I can't disable sleep mode, but is there a way that I can have my internet connection still running while it is in sleep mode?

No, but if your connection is running and you are downloading, your processor and HDD are also running, which would contradict the concept of "sleep" mode. You can, however, set just your display to "sleep" after a period of inactivity, which would probably be a good idea in your case.

OP
M

mschief02

Ok, makes sense. Would rather have the lid open then to have it overheating..

OP
J

j.n

You actually can disable sleep...

trpnmonkey41 said:
you can not disable sleep for when the lid is closed

You actually can disable sleep. But this procedure might void your warranty. Most likely it will, since notebooks were designed to dissipate heat all throughout the body, including out the top part (keyboard). And overheating will definitely put your iBook at risk of being damaged. But if you absolutely MUST, here's how...

On the 12" iBook G4, you have to tear open the entire case. Once you get the aluminum (?) cover off, look to the position just below where the "end" or "right arrow" key would be if the keyboard was still here. You'll see a small magnet. There are two ways from here:

1. Take it out.
2. Take some tin foil, wrap it around the small magnet and put it back in. I believe tin foil will make the magnet useless.

The magnet is used to activate a "reed" switch when the lid is closed. The reed switch sends a signal (when the magnet activates it) to the OS telling it to go to sleep.

Do this at your own risk. I personally would not advise you to do so. If you need the LCD to be turned off, just press the F1 button until the LCD is black. That means that the backlight of the LCD is off. The largest portion of energy consumption on LCDs is the backlight because it generates about 10000 candelas per square meter (or nits). I hope that answered the original question.

OP
S

StarManta

j.n said:
But this procedure might void your warranty.

On the 12" iBook G4, you have to tear open the entire case.

Just about anything that involves opening the case generally voids the warranty. If it's called "tearing" open the case, I'd say it definitely does. :)

OP
Z

Zapple

You do not need the lid closed just to keep it close, but if you really want to, you ccan put it down, just not all the way, like 1 1/4 inch before it goes into sleap on my G4 iBook

OP
G

gen3ric

When I'm running iTunes I usually just put the screen to the lowest contrast level, which is nearly close to off.

OP
P

PowerbookG417

there is a way this all can be done
hahaha and the anwser is..well im not sure about the ibooks but the power books boot the machine up with the external montior calbe plugged in hooked up to an external monitor...power on the ibook then close the lid..it will boot to the external monitor with your system running with the lid shut. i do it all the time with my powerbook when its hooked up to the cinema display ! give it a shot !

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.