• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Anyone a little worried about HDD prices?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Due to the floods in Thailand, the prices of Hard Drives is soaring (we are looking at +£47-50 here at the moment.)

Is anyone else a little worried by this? anyone stockpiling HDDs? reckon the prices are gonna go up further?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Prices of these commodities ebb and flow. I'm not worried about it, not at all, to be honest. They'll drop again, once supply ramps back up (and to be honest, were you to horde them now, they likely just be outdated when prices are low again).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
No. Worrying about things doesn't change anything. FWIW, with the state of the world right now I'd be more inclined to stockpile food, water, gold and lead than disk drives.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
heh good point. The price of HDs right now is indeed likely the least of our worries.

Though I have my eyes set on a SSD for the MBP in the new year, so as long as those don't skyrocket.

On another note, I just looked at the ram prices, and the 8 gigs I put into my MBP when I bought it 18 months ago is like 66 bucks now. I could imagine 2 4 gig sticks for 66 bucks. That's crazy cheap.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm sure hard drives prices won't get as bad as they were back in the 1980's when a 10megabyte HD cost $500 bucks (I bought one)!;) That's $50,000/gigabyte...and $50,000,000/terabyte.

Yes...that's $50,000,000 MILLION U.S. dollars per terabyte at mid-1980's hard drive prices!!!

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac, Intel core 2 duo, 2.16 GHz 1 GB Mem.
Due to the floods in Thailand, the prices of Hard Drives is soaring (we are looking at +£47-50 here at the moment.)

Is anyone else a little worried by this? anyone stockpiling HDDs? reckon the prices are gonna go up further?

With all the misery the people in Thailand are dealing with you are worried about the price of hard drives?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I'm actually happy that the price to build an hdd is gong up. It means that ssd's will probably drop a bit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I'm actually happy that the price to build an hdd is gong up. It means that ssd's will probably drop a bit.

Doubt it, I don't believe that the sputtering of the disks is the issue.

Now, SSD prices will drop as their adoption widens. This is natural supply/demand curve.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
There have been various issues like this from time to time. The same thing has happened with ram...a factory burns down...or there's shortage of a particular component used in the manufacturing process (I believe with the ram it was an epoxy or a resin shortage).

Eventually more manufacture's enter the picture, the damaged building is rebuilt or repaired, or the shortage is cleared up...and things are back to "normal".:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
I'm sure hard drives prices won't get as bad as they were back in the 1980's when a 10megabyte HD cost $500 bucks (I bought one)!;) That's $50,000/gigabyte...and $50,000,000/terabyte.

Yes...that's $50,000,000 MILLION U.S. dollars per terabyte at mid-1980's hard drive prices!!!

- Nick

Or as bad as an 8" 128k floppy drive in 1978 for $1000. (I bought one, also). That's $500 bazillion dollars per terabyte.

OP
robduckyworth

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
With all the misery the people in Thailand are dealing with you are worried about the price of hard drives?

Maybe "worried" isnt the term i should have used. I'm just interested to see what people think will happen and stuff.

Of course, the floods in Thailand are devastating and i hope they make a fast recovery.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.