switching to bootcamp fails to reboot

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch 2012 Air
I have a problem and need you guys help how to fix it. currently when im in OSX maybe 75% of the time when I go into preferences and choose reboot in windows it doesnt do anything at all. I get an error message like firefox could not be closed or system preferences was unable to close. even after i close these it wont restart. It happens all the time and i have to hard restart. then it goes into windows.

If i try and be clever and close everything before hand then i get system preferences could not be closed to restart. which is impossible to do. so i still have to hard restart to get into windows.

anyone know of anything i can do or know why this is happening. it happens alot unfortunately. this is with snow leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Have a little patience .. . .

1. Does your Mac shutdown normally (forget bootcamp and windows for a second)?

2. If you just restart your machine, holding down ALT/OPTION on startup to select the Windows partition does it boot into Winodws ok?

Things to try after answering those:
1. Open Disk utilty, repair permissions
2. Use a maintenence tool (I'd suggest Onyx) to run the monthly maintence scripts.
3. Run software update - install anything it finds.

OP
safarisurfer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch 2012 Air
thank you for looking. yes it boots into windows fine. it just wont restart to get there. i have to hold the power button to get the machine to power off. then when i turn it on it automatically goes into windows. i really hope i wont have to reinstall. This installation is only about 3 months old but i just got everything the way i want it.

I will try the repair permissions.since its snow leopard there really hasnt been much for updates. it says up to date.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
What about question 1? Does OSX shutdown ok normally?

Prost back onces the updates, permissions repair and scripts are done

OP
safarisurfer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch 2012 Air
its been awhile since i posted in this thread. i meant to test it after the permissions were repaired and report back. but i forgot. either way it hasnt happened again since the repair.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.