usb thumb drive problems (with fsck??)

P

pauljusm

Ok so my gf has a new powerbook and just started using it alot for school and stuff and she has a half a gig thumb drive (formated fat16) it worked for a while and now it isnt recognized by the system (which is what she told me) however i know quite a bit about linux and unix so i took a look at it and when i started up top from the terminal i noticed that fsck_fat16(i think is what its called) chews up all the ram and startes using swap space and the light on the flash drive lights really fast. so from my knowledge its running the mac equivelant to what linux does (fsck) after a certain number of mounts

i tried the tunefs -i x (where x is a number of mounts) to see if i could get it to not check the drive but am having no luck..... and idea how to get it to just recognize the drive so she is happy and not complaining about the **** thing not working :eek:neye:

thanks guys (and girls)

-Justin

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.