Bootcamp Assistance

Reaction score
Hi,

I have had numerous issues with Boot camp on my Intel Mac Mini and need some help.
First off, I got the error saying I had insufficient space, which I got around using iDefrag. I now have around 20GB contiguous space which is more than enough.
I tried creating a partition and I get an error stating: Disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved.

I decided to reinstall Snow Leopard and try to install Bootcamp on a fresh install, but I now can't boot off the Install DVD. I tried pressing C and Option as the Mini starts but it won't give me the option of booting off the DVD. I am using the equivalent keys on a standard PC keyboard, but still cannot boot off the DVD.
Any ideas?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Not wanting to ask a silly question but are you certain the disc you have in is bootable?

i.e. it's the Snow Leopard DVD that came with your Mac Mini or the Retail version.

OP
G
Reaction score
It originally shipped with Leopard and I bought the SL upgrade.
Would the retail version be non-bootable?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
The Snow Leopard upgrade disc is bootable.

So the disc is in, you restart you Mac holding alt.

What happens?

OP
G
Reaction score
I held down Alt on my keyboard until the grey Apple logo appears, then it just continues and boots straight off the HDD into SL, bypassing the DVD.

I tried holding down C as well and the same thing happens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Start you Mac, put the disc in, go to System Preferences - Startup Disk - select the DVD and choose restart.

If the Mac still doesn't boot then either:
1. your optical drive is faulty
2. your disc isn't bootable

OP
G
Reaction score
Finally. Working now .. keyboard shortcuts were unsuccessful and the Settings option worked a treat. Now I hope the rest of the bootcamp install works well. Thanks for the assistance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great stuff, thanks for posting back

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.