• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Cutting Off The Internet: H.R.3261, aka SOPA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 Mac mini and 2010 13" MacBook Pro, iPhone 4 and iPad
I totally agree. Here's a link EFF Stop SOPA to the Electronic Frontier Foundation page where you can fill in your information and they'll send a email to local representatives in your area based on your location. I've already filled mine and sent it. This law is insane. Opposition to the Internet Blacklist Bill

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
The government is taking over the last true-free market left. Net neutrality and now this.

What a shame...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
We the People get the government we elect, and by extension, the government we deserve. Yeah, Fedgov!!! Go, Commerce Clause - the cause of, and answer to, all of our problems!!! Embrace the suck, and quit whining.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I think it's absolutely sick that this kind of censorship(that's really what it is)/protectionism might have a chance of passing. What worries me more though is the true reasoning behind it.

I know they say you can't knit-pick things you like, but from my understanding(or at least from all that I have read online of H.R.3261), the sole reasoning behind the act is to protect copyrighted material that's on the web, and to attack websites that help spread that out. In theory, this might seem like a good idea, but there are so many side effects to this. The public can get fined or imprisoned for sharing simple copyrighted information from ordinary sites like Facebook, google, or other social networking sites. How many times have you shared a link with your friends? If those links are copyrighted, you don't have the right to share that on a networking site! That's a huge load of you know what! That's just the tip of the iceberg.

The problem with this new bill is that this is little room for tolerance. No matter how small the incident, or how large, the smaller case is as worse as the larger one.
I've shared SO many youtube videos with my friends on social networking sites that, from the punishment guidelines, I should be imprisoned for at least 200 years, and I didn't do much of anything except share a youtube video that has not been created by the original owner of the audio/video. There's no way that could be possible!

I also haven't found any mention of what kind of punishment would be given to those who have committed this new crime prior to the bill passing.

I literally haven't been in this much shock over something like this in...I don't even know when.

Please, someone tell me I'm am COMPLETELY misunderstand everything I've been reading!

Reaction score
Internet Censorship Bill

I just got this in my school's academic email, and I don't want this law to be passed. Can you help, please?

Internet Censorship Bill

Thanks.

More info:
rotect IP" and "SOPA") that would let the government or any corporation censor the internet, using the same DNS-blocking techniques as Iran or China.

More here: American Censorship Day November 16 - Join the fight to stop SOPA

The bills are ostensibly to stop copyright and trademark infringement, but they won't. Instead-- they'll let the government shut down almost any social media website, since any site can be shut down just for audio, video, text, or even *links* posted by its users. Any corporations will have the power to bankrupt any website or organization by cutting it off from payments, advertising and donations-- without so much as a court order.

The law is being pushed by some of the strongest lobbies in Washington, it has broad bipartisan support, and it's likely to pass in some form. I've been active against it: next week I'll be participating in a nationwide call-in day. Can you join me, and help me spread the word by forwarding this email?

Join me here: American Censorship Day November 16 - Join the fight to stop SOPA

Thanks!

Here are two great op-eds about the bills, followed by links to the bill text:

1. SOPA’s ugly message to the world about America and internet Innovation - Ideas@Innovations - The Washington Post

2. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/16/opinion/firewall-law-could-infringe-on-free-speech.html?_r=2

3. Text of S.968 as Reported in Senate: PROTECT IP Act of 2011 - U.S. Congress - OpenCongress

4. Text of H.R.3261 as Introduced in House: Stop Online Piracy Act - U.S. Congress - OpenCongress

To get involved, the link is: American Censorship Day November 16 - Join the fight to stop SOPA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Until the people who benefit from <insert_cause> hurt badly enough, for long enough, nothing will change. Good luck. Don't expect a positive legislative or governmental response to restricting governmental over-reach or it's legislative license. I'm sure there is a *******ization of the Commerce Clause that will be dusted off to rationalize why this is any business of the Federal Government to begin with. I see it enumerated to FedGov Nanny nowhere in the Constitution.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
More action from the House of Representatives, specifically from the committee of Darrel Issa (R) California. Good news, or more Bravo Sierra? We'll see...

Opponent says SOPA may be stalled in Congress | Macworld

“Although SOPA, despite the removal of this provision, is still a fundamentally flawed bill, I have decided that postponing the scheduled hearing on DNS blocking with technical experts is the best course of action at this time,” said Issa, who is pushing for an alternate bill, called the OPEN Act. “Right now, the focus of protecting the Internet needs to be on the Senate where Majority Leader Reid has announced his intention to try to move similar legislation in less than two weeks.”

Also on Friday, three officials in President Barack Obama’s administration issued an inconclusive statement on SOPA after two online petitions called on the president to veto the bill.

See sig line... ;)

OP
C
Reaction score
I'm hearing here and there that both SOPA and PIPA have been shot down today. I know there are a lot of protests going on today - from Wikipedia to Wired to Reddit and Google.

Anybody have any further news on this?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.