Win.7 sound problem in a Mac Pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.16GHz, Mac Pro quad core 2.8GHz, Mac Mini 2005.
I've searched around but have not found anything addressing my specific dilemma as yet. My apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere.

2008 Mac Pro Quad core 2.8 running Snow Leopard. During the summer I decided to put a second HD in this machine and install Windows 7 on it so my kid could play some PC games. Our first problem was that Windows 7 would not install under Bootcamp. I read that Win 7 throws a tantrum if you have more than one HD in your machine. The solution was to remove the Mac HD and install Windows on the new drive left in the machine, then replace the Mac HD.

All seemed fine except that sound is very quiet on the Windows side. My son lived with this until he got Skyrim this week. Sound is pretty much inaudible. I'd assumed the issue would be a drivers one but my problem is this... I don't think we've installed Win.7 via Bootcamp at all since we couldn't run it after removing the Mac HD. We did format the new drive via Bootcamp on our initial attempts to install but that's all.

So my problem is how do I figure out what's causing the sound problem? I don't know enough about Windows to be anything more than dangerous. I did check Device Manager in the Windows side but it tells me that the audio part is 'up-to-date.'

Any suggestions would be gratefully received! (especially by my son. ;P )

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Boot into Windows 7 and then insert your Snow Leopard DVD. Let's see if the drivers get updated and loaded automatically. They should. Let us know.

OP
WendyG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Boot into Windows 7 and then insert your Snow Leopard DVD. Let's see if the drivers get updated and loaded automatically. They should. Let us know.
We'll try that, thanks. (Going to have to wait until I get my DVD back after loaning it out) Most of the information I've read has been about partitioned HDs, I'd found virtually none on having a dedicated Windows drive in the Pro and I'd perhaps mistakenly assumed that it wouldn't work if we'd not gone the Bootcamp/partition route. I'll definitely post back once I've tested it out though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No problem with multiple drives in a Mac Pro and setting up Windows 7 Ultimate. It is essential however the drive be in Bay 1. You can run Windows 7 of its own drive no problem.

OP
WendyG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem with multiple drives in a Mac Pro and setting up Windows 7 Ultimate. It is essential however the drive be in Bay 1. You can run Windows 7 of its own drive no problem.

Yep, when we installed it back in the summer we had to swap out the drives and put the blank drive in Bay 1 before we could install Win 7. It's Win 7 Home edition we have though.

Also, I remembered I had a back-up of my Snow Leopard install on a flash drive. We inserted that whilst in Windows and a small info window briefly appeared referring to driver installation. Before I could read it all, it was instantly replaced by a request to format the flash drive. So I did nothing further and removed the flash. I'm still waiting on my son rebooting to see if anything has changed. I doubt he's going to do that before morning at this rate. <rolls eyes> I'll post again then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well Wendy as a suggestion open BootCamp Assistant and see if there is an option to download drivers and burn to a CD. If so, do that, boot Windows, pop the CD in and let it run. If it does not, open and select auto run.

Hey mother and no rolling those eyes. Let me tell you as an old feller that does not influence sons or grandsons in the slightest.

Only works with girls who are more subtle!

OP
WendyG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No luck with the Install Disk. Windows just doesn't seem to recognise there's even a disk in the player.

I reckon my problem is that Bootcamp never actually installed anything. Windows just installed itself on the blank drive and now resides there painfully uncommunicative with some parts of the Mac. I'm now not sure if I can do anything with it at all. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you burnt the disc, pop it in, go into My Computer and select the DVD drive, right click and then auto run. See if that brings any joy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.