Sending e-mail out of home Cox area-server issue

Reaction score
With my MacBook, every time I travel I cannot Send e-mails through my normal SoCal cox account. It is always looking for my home outgoing server smtp.west.cox.net. Getting on the internet and incoming e-mail are no problem. Right now I am at a hotel on a DSL connection. I tried deleting the outgoing server name from Mail and that just removed even trying to Send an e-mail.

What do I have to tell it (Leopard OS) for the outgoing server?

Ron

Reaction score
Ron, I have smtp.east.cox.net account and had the same problem, even before switching from PC to Mac. It's not a Mac thing, it's a server thing. The solution I found was an annual subscription to authsmtp.com. It's $24.00 a year, and enables you to send email from anywhere. There are a couple of settings you have to change in your email accounts, but it works great for me.

A note of caution, though: the $24 annual subscription has limits on # and MB size of messages. Therefore, I ONLY use authsmtp when I'm traveling. When I'm home, I switch everything back to my smtp.east.cox.net.

I hope this helps!

OP
R
Reaction score
e-mail outgoing server issue

bvawter - Thanks for responding. Last night I realized there is an easy solution. I ask at the Hotel who is their ISP, then I went online to that company (here in Lake Tahoe it is Charter Communications) and was able to find the server name I needed. Plug that in to the last preference field under Mail and.....voila....it works. Good luck in your travels. Ron

C

chas_m

Much MUCH easier solution to this problem: use your ISP's webmail portal while traveling. No reconfigurations required.

Better still, join the 21st century and get an IMAP account (GMail if you like ads, iCloud if you don't, both free).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.