Windows 7 keeps freezing (but cursor still moves)

Reaction score
Windows 7 for mac never really gave me that much of a problem in the past, it was mostly just very slow.
a
However, recently, it has started to freeze at random. The funny thing is, I could still move the cursor around, but nothing responds to my clicks - everything else is just stuck.

It happens very quickly too. Just earlier on I was adjusting ONLY the personalisation settings for the desktop background, and it got stuck again. Previously, I only opened My Documents and browsed and it got stuck.
I have to force shut-down (press and hold the on/off button on my MBP) and restart the whole Windows 7 system again, but it still gives me the same problem and I haven't even had the chance to open the software that I need to use (AutoCAD).

I'm currently on Windows 7 safe mode and have yet to identify the root of the problem.

Has anyone got an idea what's going on and how I can fix it?
Thanks in advance!

p.s. My windows partition for bootcamp has plenty of space left, it's my mac osx partition that's pretty full, do you guys reckon this could affect the windows side nonetheless?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sounds like a classic case of a bad or incorrect video driver. Make sure you have the proper and the latest video driver installed for Windows 7. When in Windows 7 safe mode, run the Boot Camp software update to see if you can download the latest version of BC which should also contain drivers.

You didn't mention which Mac you have, but if you have a late model Mac, you should have downloaded a driver set from Apple and burned it to disk which should be used to install drivers for Windows 7. Did you do that?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.