External HDD work almost with no pause

Reaction score
This is Iomega eGo Silver Desktop Mac Edition 2TB i use only for time machine backup. It is almost always running with some constant noise which i hate especially with my totally quiet imac. Is it normal for external hdd always spinning and producing that rather noticeable noise?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It depends on the firmware which the hard drive is using. Some drives will "sleep" after so many intervals (minutes, etc) have passed, others are constantly spinning.

I don't keep my Time Machine drive attached unless I'm backing up. But my method is not for everyone as it's sometimes hard to remember to back up.

OP
Reaction score
It depends on the firmware which the hard drive is using. Some drives will "sleep" after so many intervals (minutes, etc) have passed, others are constantly spinning.

Firmware - you mean drive internal software? Because there is no iomega drivers needed to use it with mac.

I don't keep my Time Machine drive attached unless I'm backing up. But my method is not for everyone as it's sometimes hard to remember to back up.

Starting to think same way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.