• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Machinima

Reaction score
Okay, so here's what I have planned. I want to take the game World of Warcraft and make Machinima videos out of it (like so many have done such as Oxhorn). I already know the game recorder I want to use. What I'm wondering is if anyone has any suggestions for a good video editor as well as a good sound recording software and microphone for this feat. Any input will be appreciated and researched.

Please keep in mind that I am a new Mac user and still have a lot to learn about OS X. (I will be using Lion for all of this work).

Reaction score
Recommendations

Hey there Gumbeaux,

I've made some Machinimas myself in the past few years with WoW. I've always used Macs but there are so other things I'd recommend looking into as well if you're interested in making a decent machinima.

I guess I have a lot to say so I'll split them up into a few areas. Keep in mind I may veer off topic – as in regards to you're specific question about editing software and a mic. Anyway here it goes.

If you have a decent PC available to you or run bootcamp, I'd consider using a few programs in collaboration with WoW to record. It's simple – download WoW like you normally would but for PC then go and download this Machinima tool at (WoW Machinima Tool). Also download fraps. Keep in mind that your hardware has to be decent (a low end gaming PC or anything newer than an 2010 iMac can handle it) to keep the frame-rate bearable. WoW is NOT graphics intensive but fraps will eat your CPU. Once you have WoW downloaded and patched then launch the game and log in like you normally would. Minimize the game and launch the WMT (WoW Machinima Tool for future reference). This tool you have to play around with for awhile to get used to it but essentially it affects the client–side view options which is indispensable if you want to get some truly amazing effects in you Machinima movie. Fraps it then send the files to your Mac and use Handbrake (found at: HandBrake) to convert the files into a recognizable format for common Mac video–editing programs.

If you do not have access to a decent PC or run bootcamp and think you Mac can handle it then I'd recommend a combination of the add–on called Camera Plus which you can download at curse.com and record from an application called Screenflow (found at: Screencasting Software - ScreenFlow Overview - Telestream). The in–game recorder is pitiful to be honest, intervention from a REAL recorder is necessary in my opinion, but if you don't have the money then use it. IF you use the in game recorder you will need to convert the file format to be able to edit with video editing software (in most cases). Screenflow allows easy customization of formats and quality. The quality is so nice it literally looks 100% like the real thing, so I recommend using it.

In regards to the actual video editing I'd highly recommend using Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premiere for fabricating a timeline and either Apple Motion or Adobe After Effects (which I recommend) for special effects and individual clip editing. For audio editing software I personally find Adobe Audition and Sound Studio Pro to be the best ones; however, I'm not as familiar with audio so there may be better options out there.

Sorry, have no clue about a mic. I personally use a rock band one :p

Some other good programs to have are:

MPEG Streamclip (found at: Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac OS X) for converting files if need be. It recognized an outstanding number of formats for being a free application.

MPQ Extractor is another good free program to extract the source files from WoW .mpq files (Blizzards ways of hiding the game files). I use this to extract the sound files which I use everywhere in my Machinimas. This includes spells, character sounds, music, ambient sounds, etc... (everything you hear in the game)

If you have any questions let me know =) and have fun.

Reaction score
I'm also a little bit new to Mac. Have tried to make a couple videos by Screenflow about games tips, but I couldn't figure out how to combine several clips into one video? Thanks for any helps. :)

Screenflow is designed to record your screen and allow you to make some minor adjustments to the clip before exporting. It is designed to capture video, not compose a timeline. What you are looking for is a program such as Final Cut or Adobe Premiere. There are other options as well but those two I can say from personal experience work quite well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.