Why did you switch?

Reaction score
I'm still unsure about buying a Mac. I REALLY want a new iMac, but i'm not sure that I should. I really don't NEED it. Who in here just switched for the fun of it? Who switched for other reasons? What were the reasons? I guess I'm just trying to psych myself into buying this thing. I just looks cool. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.4GHz (AL) iMac+
I picked up the Mac Mini for various reasons.

1. Addition to my HomeTheater/HDTV
2. Always been curious with Mac's/it's different
3. Tiger/OSX
4. The $750 price tag

S

sursuciofla

I have always loved Macs and I needed one for school. The OS is stable and don't have to worry about viruses attacking me. Macs come with great starting software unlike windows were you get basically nothing and to be productive need to buy a lot of initial software. They last longer than Windows machines. To me the decision was do I want a Honda that lasts or a Ford that will give me a lot of headache sdooner than later and also lose value faster. But yeah the big factor was for my Computer Design. But had I gotten a new computer it would have been a Mac anyways no matter what.

G

ghostrida

- OS is stable as ****
- Unix roots opens up huge configuration and software possiblities
- Beautiful easy to use interface
- No viruses or spyware
- Power and style (what car manufacturers strive for but few obtain)

OP
ripfrankwhite
Reaction score
So basically, I shouldn't get one. ****. My computer never gets viruses, spyware, adware, or anything. I have plenty of protection. Never crashes, runs fast, and has all the apps I could want. Plus some that I never use. I just got them for free. Well, I guess I'll stick to this thing until it becomes obsolete. Until then, I'll drool over the pics and stories in these Mac forums. Thanks for the input. I'm just a wanna be Mac user. LOL.

D

danielbruzual

I think that pcs are better than macs (Hardware) because you can build your own and use the parts you want but I really hate windows. I switched because I could not stand the antiviruses anymore (Norton bothers me more and makes my computer slower than any virus). Macs have a good reputation and you are guaranteed that it´ll serve you well for 4 years. Buying stuff you don´t need is what capitalism is all about so I say go for it.

Reaction score
Blacksburg, VA - home of System X, making your pow
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 DA 466 MHz
Going back to the original question... "Just for fun" sounds like the right answer to me.

In more detail, my PC laptop is a huge clunker, at least 8 pounds, creaks in every imagineable way when you pick it up, so I decided I wanted a new laptop, for mobility purposes.

So I decided, instead of spending the money for a new laptop that would be a little lighter yet act exactly like my old one, why not try something COMPLETELY different?

So, here I am, sitting in front of a beautiful 12" iBook.

If computers are essential to what you do (as they are to me as a computer engineering student) I highly recommend you keep your PC around for AT LEAST a month before relying soley on the mac. Just make sure that whatever you need to do can be done on a mac just as easily. There is, of course, always the possibility that you just won't like the mac and would rather work on a PC, another good reason for making sure you have them both at your disposal for a trial period.

OP
ripfrankwhite
Reaction score
RChickenMan said:
Going back to the original question... "Just for fun" sounds like the right answer to me.

In more detail, my PC laptop is a huge clunker, at least 8 pounds, creaks in every imagineable way when you pick it up, so I decided I wanted a new laptop, for mobility purposes.

So I decided, instead of spending the money for a new laptop that would be a little lighter yet act exactly like my old one, why not try something COMPLETELY different?

So, here I am, sitting in front of a beautiful 12" iBook.

If computers are essential to what you do (as they are to me as a computer engineering student) I highly recommend you keep your PC around for AT LEAST a month before relying soley on the mac. Just make sure that whatever you need to do can be done on a mac just as easily. There is, of course, always the possibility that you just won't like the mac and would rather work on a PC, another good reason for making sure you have them both at your disposal for a trial period.

But Apple doesn't offer a trial period. Or am I wrong about that? If they did, I would jump at the opportunity to try it out.

Either way, my Dell has never had any of the problems that I read about with PC's. I almost wish it did. I'm just looking for a reason to buy one. But since it runs *ahem* wonderfully, I really don't need one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 DA 466 MHz
Well, E-Bay offers a trial period.

Translation: buy an iBook used off of e-bay. Use it for a month. Laptops do not depreciate significantly in a one-month period, so you will have no problem selling it again and making back all of your money (if you got a good deal in the first place).

Of course, if you have a problem with eBay or used products in general, this solution is not preferable for you.

And no, my Dell did not have any of the problems that mac users always complain about in regards to PCs. I ran virus and adware scans every night and no threats were ever detected. I just wanted to try something new. Windows is not the end all be all of user-end computing; there is an alternative out there. It is certainly worth trying.

L

lil

I might be missing something here, but two things.

One. Why should Apple offer a trial any more than another PC manufacturer? If you want that go to a store where they stock Macs and try them out there and then.

Two. You sound like your trolling. If you have some money to spend, donate it to a charity instead of buying something you do not need.

Vicky

L

lil

I think when Mac users say no virus' or spyware what they are really eluding to is you don't need the applications as it stands right now and has done since OS X's inception to protect you from virus' or spyware, whereas on Windows you need something to scan for this to keep things clean.

As you rightly say it is about choice, what suits everyone best will differ from one person to the next, the Mac isn't right for everybody just as much as Windows isn't right for everybody either.

But then technically I never really switched (unless you count from Amiga 500 to IIsi in 1995..)

Vicky

OP
ripfrankwhite
Reaction score
lil said:
I might be missing something here, but two things.

One. Why should Apple offer a trial any more than another PC manufacturer? If you want that go to a store where they stock Macs and try them out there and then.

Two. You sound like your trolling. If you have some money to spend, donate it to a charity instead of buying something you do not need.

Vicky

Yes, you clearly are missing something.

One. I didn't bring up the trial idea. I never claimed that Apple should offer a trial period, did I? In order to know if the OS environment is right for me, I would need more than to just use the demos in the store.

Two. Trolling? No. Looking for advice? Yes. If you don't have anything positive to say, don't post. If anything, you are the troll. Thanks for nothing.

OP
ripfrankwhite
Reaction score
RChickenMan said:
Well, E-Bay offers a trial period.

Translation: buy an iBook used off of e-bay. Use it for a month. Laptops do not depreciate significantly in a one-month period, so you will have no problem selling it again and making back all of your money (if you got a good deal in the first place).

Of course, if you have a problem with eBay or used products in general, this solution is not preferable for you.

And no, my Dell did not have any of the problems that mac users always complain about in regards to PCs. I ran virus and adware scans every night and no threats were ever detected. I just wanted to try something new. Windows is not the end all be all of user-end computing; there is an alternative out there. It is certainly worth trying.

You know, that E-Bay idea is good. I think I'll do that. Find a used iBook and work with it for a while. Worst case scenario--sell it and get most of my money back. Money lost will be worth the experience. Thanks!

L

lil

Hey, chill, not saying that the trial idea is bad idea, what I am saying is Apple doesn't offer a trial as much as other computer manufacturers don't. I'm not saying that it'd be a bad idea if Apple had a trial - what I was pointing out is that if you go to a store where they have Apple's set up - you can usuall plonk yourself down and play as much as you like, very rarely is a specific demo running as such. (I used to work in such a place).

Two, sorry. I do apologise but I took the tone of the post to be 'chucking out' people's reasoning for using a Mac, especially with the swearing, and hence it the way I read it first time, it sounded not very encouraging to those putting out their reasons. However I do apologise, I'm just too used to seeing trolling I guess!

However my suggestions remain, that you will be best off either going to store or finding a friend who might have a Mac and playing with it that way, and that like Windows, Mac OS might not be for everybody.

Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
ripfrankwhite said:
So basically, I shouldn't get one. ****. My computer never gets viruses, spyware, adware, or anything. I have plenty of protection. Never crashes, runs fast, and has all the apps I could want. Plus some that I never use. I just got them for free. Well, I guess I'll stick to this thing until it becomes obsolete. Until then, I'll drool over the pics and stories in these Mac forums. Thanks for the input. I'm just a wanna be Mac user. LOL.

But that is the point - your computer never gets viruses etc because it is loaded up to the hilt with protection that has to run in the background. Also, you have to spend valuable time scanning for viruses/adware etc, (otherwise you would not know if it had any of these or not) and scandisk and defragmenting.

With a Mac you don't need any protection software, you do not need to waste time scanning/defragmenting etc......which is the reason why I got one, I can spend all of my time computing - not checking my system over and over again....also, I like the idea of NO registry, the system design and the reliabilty.

If you are trying to say you have NEVER experienced a PC crash etc, I would find that VERY hard to believe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 DA 466 MHz
Well, even as a recent switcher, that's not enough reason for most people to completely switch platforms.

I do, however, feel there is some validity to the more general statement that I have heard a switcher use, something to the effect of "With a mac, I can actually use my computer to do work without spending all of the time working on the computer".

Even if you don't agree with that, there is a general misunderstanding that the only reason to try a Mac is if you are completely disatisfied with your PC. I use the mindset that I shouldn't just blindly use a PC forever, I should give alternatives an equal shot and see what I trully like best. No PC user who has never used a mac can legitimately say they prefer PCs over macs. You really have to work with them both for a reasonable time period befor you can make such a statement.

OP
ripfrankwhite
Reaction score
Kyomii said:
But that is the point - your computer never gets viruses etc because it is loaded up to the hilt with protection that has to run in the background. Also, you have to spend valuable time scanning for viruses/adware etc, (otherwise you would not know if it had any of these or not) and scandisk and defragmenting.

With a Mac you don't need any protection software, you do not need to waste time scanning/defragmenting etc......which is the reason why I got one, I can spend all of my time computing - not checking my system over and over again....also, I like the idea of NO registry.

Since Norton and a few other programs are running in the background, does that slow things up considerably or minimally? I don't do too many tasks at once. Only because I understand that it may tax the CPU and such.

You are correct. It is loaded with protection software. Antivirus, antimalware programs, registry cleaners, etc. I have most of them setup to run/scan while I'm asleep so not to really cause much of a headache. But I am CONSTANTLY maintaining my machine. The thought of not having to do that is a VERY enticing incentive.

OP
ripfrankwhite
Reaction score
RChickenMan said:
Well, even as a recent switcher, that's not enough reason for most people to completely switch platforms.

I do, however, feel there is some validity to the more general statement that I have heard a switcher use, something to the effect of "With a mac, I can actually use my computer to do work without spending all of the time working on the computer".

Even if you don't agree with that, there is a general misunderstanding that the only reason to try a Mac is if you are completely disatisfied with your PC. I use the mindset that I shouldn't just blindly use a PC forever, I should give alternatives an equal shot and see what I trully like best. No PC user who has never used a mac can legitimately say they prefer PCs over macs. You really have to work with them both for a reasonable time period befor you can make such a statement.

Very well put. And I have to agree with you. But the cost of the machine is considerably more than the PC. I don't wanna cause a fuss with that comment. But I've read plenty of discussions that try to justify the cost of Macs vs PCs and they were just not valid. I understand that Apple is trying (and have succeeded) in possessing a sort of prestige with their products. The are, afterall, very nice to look at. :) I am willing to pay the luxury tax of the machines, but just researching them before I make a possible mistake.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 DA 466 MHz
Well, you said you'd be going the eBay route, and the prices are VERY reasonable.
My 12" iBook is one "sub-generation" behind the current ones (it has a 1.2 GHz G4 as opposed to 1.33 GHz and does not have blue-tooth) and I paid a modest $650 plus $30 for shipping.

Now, as far as why apple products cost more than competiting products brand new-
This has to do with Apple's very different business philosophy. The reason your Dell computer costs less than an Apple is because Dell (along with just about every other consumer electronics company) is willing to make sacrafices to get the product to a certain price. For example, if they want the product to cost $1000 but at a given point in production it is looking more like $1300, they will do things such as use a lower-quality LCD panel, use cheaper internal components, etc. to shed the price a bit. Apple, however, first selects what they want the product to be, uses good (not necessarily the best, i'm sure there is a better 12" LCD panel out there than the one in my iBook) components, and THEN tells the consumer how much it is going to cost them.

Please remember, I am NOT an apple fanboy or anything like that. This is a conclusion based on doing legitimate research (which stemmed from curiousity) about Apple and their business practices.

OP
ripfrankwhite
Reaction score
I don't mind paying more for things that I want. I like new toys. I'm pretty much sold on a used iBook. I'm gonna shop for one today. I've wanted one since college, but never bought one. Now (10 years later) I still want one. So I'm gonna get one. Thanks for the advice. It was nice chatting.

I am also very bored with Windows. That is another reason I'm gonna get a Mac. Just for kicks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.