Does iTunes monitor the music folder

J

jcayo11

I currently use iTunes as my personal media playing device on my Win/Laptop. I have a central location on network storage for all my music. Both the wife and put music in this folder. Windows Media Player can monitor the folder and will add new music to the library all by iteself, can iTunes do this as well. I tried it and could not get it to work. Pointed the itunes music folder location to my central location and it picked up nothing. Eventualy had to import the folder, but when I added new music, it did not pick that up either.

OP
S

stevebrown1950

iTunes central storage

jcayo11 said:
I currently use iTunes as my personal media playing device on my Win/Laptop. I have a central location on network storage for all my music. Both the wife and put music in this folder. Windows Media Player can monitor the folder and will add new music to the library all by iteself, can iTunes do this as well. I tried it and could not get it to work. Pointed the itunes music folder location to my central location and it picked up nothing. Eventualy had to import the folder, but when I added new music, it did not pick that up either.

I also want this feature. I spend too much time managing iTunes on several computers. This feature would be a first step in making iTunes a user friendly networked application.

OP
N

nichols_david

iTune

It should do it without much work. Are you sure you that the iTunes settings are looking in sub folders, I can't remember if iTunes needs this information or not.

Can iTunes even see the files, meaning are they the correct format.

Most likely wont help you but thought I would say it anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
you must import the files into itunes, and then they place the files themselves into the music folder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah, there's no "monitoring" function in iTunes as of yet...

I put any music I want to add to iTunes into the general 'Music' folder and then drag everything in there into my library and have iTunes copy it into its own 'iTunes Music' folder.

Reaction score
In order for iTunes to be the "best" music/multi-media platform out there, it NEEDS this simple feature. WMP, Media monkey, Winamp, and a host of others have this simple feature but this monster of a player doesn't. ituens is great but the main reason i don't use it is that it doesn't monitor folders. I'm forced to use iTuens for my iPhone, but that's the only reason i use it. I don't use iTunes to sync music either, just the apps. there are hosts of other programs that will sync with your ipod/iphone/ipod touch. so when i see this simple change come about, I'll probable use iTunes full time.

Let me know if yall agree or not. do i stand alone on this subject?

Thanks for reading.

Reaction score
The fact that iTunes does NOT monitor the Music folder is probably the #1 reason I hate it. Doesn't just about EVERY OTHER music program have this feature?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.