PDA

View Full Version : Why your post may be missing

bobtomay
11-02-2011, 08:44 AM
Just wanted to give our members a heads up.

The spammers are trying a fairly new tactic. In order to try and keep their spam up in the forum, they're putting up the links to their sites - hidden. That is, they're using a couple of techniques that can't be seen by looking at their posts in the standard way. You must have xray vision to see them. ;)

They've been using this particular technique for about 6 months now, but have gotten aggressive during the last 2 weeks. Currently, it looks like only 2 people spamming for 3 web sites - with between 40 & 50 registrations over the last couple of weeks.

Currently they're trying a new tack of posting what appear to be legitimate questions asking for help. And of course, the community is responding. We're catching them and deleting them pretty fast and thus far, I've only seen 3 of these threads where we've had a response from our members before the post/thread was deleted.

So anyway, just a heads up - if you go looking for a thread where you've posted and it's gone - you'll know why.

And for the spammers, all I can say is fat chance. You may as well move on to some other forum.

RavingMac
11-02-2011, 09:45 AM
You must have xray vision to see them. ;)

We've known for some time that the Mods had superpowers . . . so Xray Vision is one of them.
What else?
Leaping moderately tall buildings maybe . . .

Just curious ;)

bobtomay
11-02-2011, 10:12 AM
We've known for some time that the Mods had superpowers . . . so Xray Vision is one of them.
What else?
Leaping moderately tall buildings maybe . . .

Just curious ;)

That would be van - I didn't get nuthin ceptin the xray vision.

RavingMac
11-02-2011, 10:24 AM
That would be van - I didn't get nuthin ceptin the xray vision.

That makes sense, he would need that to traverse the snow drifts that start to accumulate up north about this time of year.

BrianLachoreVPI
11-02-2011, 10:28 AM
That makes sense, he would need that to traverse the snow drifts that start to accumulate up north about this time of year.

I don't think he ventures outdoors again until June... :D

vansmith
11-02-2011, 11:14 AM
That would be van - I didn't get nuthin ceptin the xray vision.That would be correct - that was the power I was given. ;)

I don't think he ventures outdoors again until June... :DIt took four posts for you guys to go from a post about spamming to making a joke about Canada. Your jealousy is getting a bit out of control. :P

RavingMac
11-02-2011, 11:16 AM
That would be correct - that was the power I was given. ;)

It took four posts for you guys to go from a post about spamming to making a joke about Canada. Your jealousy is getting a bit out of control. :P

I actually was going to start with a joke about Canada, but I am trying to be on my best behavior right now . . . admittedly, not much better than my worst behavior, but I get high points for consistency. ;)

EDIT: And I think I can speak for the both of us in this, neither of us has anything at all against Canada and in no way intend to demean our neighbor to the (sometimes frigid) north. But, certain un-named Canadians are fair game.

vansmith
11-02-2011, 11:19 AM
Fuel for the fire (http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2008/12/16/canada-spam.html)?

cwa107
11-02-2011, 07:52 PM
And for the spammers, all I can say is fat chance. You may as well move on to some other forum.

Nice catch, Tom.

And to all the current and prospective spammers out there, you are wasting your time while "The Spaminator" is on duty.

louishen
07-14-2012, 02:55 PM
Can you see the technique if you look at the source html?