Mac erasure of image files in SD card

Reaction score
Not sure if this was raised before in this Forum or was it just me. I just switched to Mac from being a PC user for many many years.

When I use my iMac to erase the image files stored in SD cards after the images were transferred to the computer, I noticed that the files were removed BUT the storage space occupied by the images previously was not released. The only way to reclaim the space was to format the SD card in the camera.

Is this normal for iMac when come to erasing data stored by a DSLR in SD cards?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Not sure if this was raised before in this Forum or was it just me. I just switched to Mac from being a PC user for many many years.

When I use my iMac to erase the image files stored in SD cards after the images were transferred to the computer, I noticed that the files were removed BUT the storage space occupied by the images previously was not released. The only way to reclaim the space was to format the SD card in the camera.

Is this normal for iMac when come to erasing data stored by a DSLR in SD cards?

Thanks.

It's The same on a PC, you have to empty the trash/recycle bin after you've deleted the files.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you mrplow for the quick response. I have learnt something new and not apparent to me.

Cheers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.