• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

iPhone 4S battery concerns and tips for better performance

Reaction score
iPhone 4S battery concerns and tips for better performance

iphonelowbatteryicon.jpg
Since the iPhone 4S was released, several customers have reported sub-optimal battery performance. Not only in standby time (Apple's iPhone specs comparison chart notes that the 4S offers 200 hours of standby time, while previous models offered 300), but in daily use as well. The UK's Guardian newspaper reports that some users have been directly contacted by Apple engineers (!) who are trying to suss out the issue.

Today, Erick Schonfeld reports his experience at Tech Crunch. Despite moderate use during an 8-hour work day -- about two-and-a-half hours of Internet and email and roughly 30 minutes of calls -- his iPhone's battery had died. If the iPhone saw hands-on activity for about three hours, according to Erick's anecdotal observation, it spent about 5 hours sitting idle.

As Erick notes, the phone was "...constantly bleeping with notifications and emails. And that may very well be the problem." Often a "resting" iPhone is in fact doing something, and it's possible that very frequent notification alerts can contribute to battery drain. Per the Guardian story, problematic contacts may also be to blame (see Chris Breen story below).

While we wait and see if anything official will come from Apple on this apparently widespread problem, here are a few general tips you can use for preserving battery life on an iOS device. You won't suddenly run 12-hour days after trying these things out, but every bit helps, right?

1. Lower screen brightness. A blazing screen equals a blazing battery. Move that slider a bit to the left.
  2. Reduce alerts you don't need. Yes, push notifications are wonderful as are their corresponding beeps. Just look at how many you've got enabled and whittle it down to the essential.
  3. Enable quick screen locking. You can typically let the display go to sleep when you aren't actively using your iPhone.
  4. Enable Airplane mode when offline. It kills Wi-Fi and data dead. Plus it's polite to whomever you happen to be talking with.
  5. Reduce email checking. Do you really need to see a new message every five minutes?
  6. Make sure you're not synchronizing massive mail folders you don't actually need on the go, like Sent, Drafts or Junk.
  7. Try de-synchronizing your Exchange, iCloud or Google contacts and seeing if that improves matters -- you may have a corrupt contact record in there.
Admittedly these tips are common sense stuff and probably won't address more specific issues others are reporting. For example, the folks at iDownloadBlog suggest that the Time Zone setting could be a problem and describe a way to test your own device (note that they tested the iPhone 4 and 3GS, not just the 4S), while Christopher Breen discovered that an errant contact was causing a battery-draining crash loop while trying to sync to iCloud.

If you've found any helpful tricks, please share in the comments.

iPhone 4S battery concerns and tips for better performance originally appeared on TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog on Fri, 28 Oct 2011 15:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

SourceÂ*|Â*PermalinkÂ*|Â*Email thisÂ*|Â*Comments

Read more

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
That's kind of disappointing. It sounds a LOT like what has been suggested to android users all this time - that you have to do so many things in order to keep your phone alive. Only downfall is that you can't replace the battery on the iPhone.

I really think they should rethink the battery design on the iPhone 5 if it is a big issue in the 4S. A removable battery is the way to go on cell phones because you are not always near an outlet and it can be very restricting.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
The real problem is - battery advancements trail advances in just about every other technology sector by a significant margin. Tough problem to solve.

M

MacInWin

My experience is that the 4S gets pretty good battery life. I don't have a ton of contacts, and I made sure that the sync completed successfully. Other than that, I didn't do anything special. From the article I read, the one big killer is the looping on syncing of contacts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I'll be patiently waiting for a fix.

Reaction score
iPhone owners could do all those things to increase their battery life, but the fact is that the standard these days are too high for users to adjust their phone use because apple didn't care enough for it.
They basically took two steps forward and then one step back.
People nowadays aren't that patient and expect a lot when they're paying hundreds of dollars for the phone.

I personally don't have a problem with checking my email less and dimming the brightness on my phone but i think apple could have done better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
iPhone owners could do all those things to increase their battery life, but the fact is that the standard these days are too high for users to adjust their phone use because apple didn't care enough for it.
They basically took two steps forward and then one step back.
People nowadays aren't that patient and expect a lot when they're paying hundreds of dollars for the phone.

I personally don't have a problem with checking my email less and dimming the brightness on my phone but i think apple could have done better.

I don't think you have a clue as to what the problem actually is. You don't even have to use your phone for the battery to drop. Dimming the screen, checking the mail less, and everything else possible, appears to have no real noticeable slow-downs on the batteries depletion rate.

Reaction score
Battery issue for iOS 5

None of those things worked for me. Since the update, from a complete charge, my phone would die within four hours on standby. I've even restored and backed-up my phone twice, still nothing. The only thing that worked for me is to turn off my cellular data when I didn't plan on using it. Settings>General>Network>Cellular Data(off). If you have a wi-fi source, you can use that instead and only turn on cell data when you need it and turning it back off when your done. It's aggravating, but it'll do till they resolve this issue. I gather its using data consistently, since i've recently received an email from AT&T saying I am in the top 5% of high-data users when i've barely used it, considering i use wi-fi when I'm home. Hopefully this helps for ya'll.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.