Best Software for Photo Library on Mac?

Reaction score
Fairly new to Mac and not thrilled with iPhoto's relatively clunky organization, or the way the images are 'hidden' in the iPhoto library, making sharing among users more difficult as well.

So... I would really appreciate any feedback on photo library software. Looking for something more intuitive, mainly so my less technical wife can use more easily. On PC we had a nice program that sorted by date and folder but also had a nice calendar view feature. Additionally, settings could be adjusted so that the auto import put files in a folder easily accessible (and automatically updated by software) for each individual CPU user.

Not looking for something that has to have lots of editing capabilities. I'm fairly proficient with Adobe stuff. Wife would need basic things like crop, red eye, etc...

Thoughts?

(Thanks in advance!)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
For my wife - I'd go with Picasa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
+one recommendation for Picassa - much better than iPhoto

Reaction score
iphoto with Picasa editing

I cannot save the image edited in Picasa back to iphoto. Occasionally I will get a shadow image of the photo in the Picasa edit screen and when I edit that screen the edited copy goes back to iphoto, but I cannot find any consistent way of obtaining the shadow image.When I click Edit in iphoto it makes a duplicate image in the iphoto album then when I go to Picasa to do the editing it asks me to make another duplicate image, but after editing this image I cannot save it back into my iphoto album.

any suggestions?

C

chas_m

Learn to use iPhoto properly?

There's nothing "clunky" about its organization, nor is it difficult to share photos with anyone -- if you take the time to learn it, that is.

Talking of "clunky," that's a perfect description of my opinion of Picasa.

Reaction score
Learn to use iPhoto properly? There's nothing "clunky" about its organization, nor is it difficult to share photos with anyone -- if you take the time to learn it, that is.
I agree with chas. Took me a while to understand iPhoto and it's big cousin Aperture, but now I am very happy with the way they handle images. Easy to share, just takes learning a new workflow. I let my iMac do all the work of organizing master copies in the background now. Frees me to enjoy the photos.

I needed to understand:

• Concept of masters and photo library.
  • Difference between folders, projects and albums.
  • Working with versions.
  • Import and export.
  • Backing up to Vault.
Once through the speed of sound barrier, it's been smooth as silk.

Reaction score
I cannot save the image edited in Picasa back to iphoto. Occasionally I will get a shadow image of the photo in the Picasa edit screen and when I edit that screen the edited copy goes back to iphoto, but I cannot find any consistent way of obtaining the shadow image.When I click Edit in iphoto it makes a duplicate image in the iphoto album then when I go to Picasa to do the editing it asks me to make another duplicate image, but after editing this image I cannot save it back into my iphoto album. any suggestions?
I haven't played with Picassa for years, and i don't know if it is supposed to integrate with iPhoto, but maybe you have to export the version from iPhoto to somewhere handy like the Desktop, make edits to that version in and , then import the new photo as a new master in iPhoto?

Reaction score
Another vote for iPhoto. Keep playing with it. It has a lot of features and I am very impressed with all the ways to sort and store your photos. Then the projects you can do with them, email them-and it will suggest different sizes based on quality and automatically resize it to send. I love iPhoto. Go on YouTube and watch some vids of what you can do with it and give it a second chance.

p.s. ex-longtime windows user here too....but have come to my senses now!!!!!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.