Initializing Hard Drive Problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X version 10.4.11 PowerBook5.9 Processor 1.67 GHz Power PC G4 Memory 1GB DDR2 SDRAM
Hi,

I'm trying to hook up an external hard drive to my Powerbook G4.

The computer tells me that it does not recognize the disk and asks me if I want to "initialise."
When I use this option the computer begins to run through the new hard drive, (I think)! in order to create an image, as this drive has a
450G capacity this operation looks like its going to take a long time to complete.

Can anyone tell me if i am doing the right thing; or not?

Any help will be much appreciated.

all the best,

Stewart

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
First off, how is the external Hard DRive formatted? For Windows? What Powerbook G4 is this (Specs please) and are you hooking the drive up Via USB or Firewire? Older PowerMac G4's are USB 1.1 is one reason I ask how it's hooked up.

Also which version of OSX do you have installed on the Powerbook?

You can find all this by clicking the Apple in the Top left corner of the screen and on About This Mac.

OP
X
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X version 10.4.11 PowerBook5.9 Processor 1.67 GHz Power PC G4 Memory 1GB DDR2 SDRAM
external hard drive B/U

Hi dtravis7

Mac OS X version 10.4.11
PowerBook5,9
Processor 1.67 GHz Power PC G4
Memory 1 GB DDR2 SDRAM

I'm hooking up the drive via USB.

I don't know how the external hard drive is formatted.

I had a new internal hard drive installed two days ago.

thanks for replying.

cheers,

Stewart

OP
X
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is there anybody there?

Stewart

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Your thread title probably isn't helping you get the assistance you're looking for. Let me or another staff member know if you'd like to change it. It should be a 1-liner that summarizes the issues you're seeking to address.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Thread title changed. Your username doesn't tell us much about your problem.

A descriptive title will help in getting people to look at your issue. :)

OP
X
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
trying to install external hard drive B/U

Hi,

Sorry about the misleading title.

How do I go about changing it?

cheers,

xstewart

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
You need to reformat the drive to suit the Mac.
Plug it in, and go to Applications>utilities>disk utility and open disk utility (double click)
You shouls see the drive appear on the left hand side bar, just below your main HD.
Highlight it, and then go to the "erase" tab.
Under the drop down vloume format bar, select (Mac OS Extended Journaled) and click erase. This will format the drive for use solely with your Mac.

If you want it for use with Windows too, then you will have to use another program.
Report back if that's what you need.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Thread title is already changed.

Ok, with the external hooked up, run Disk Utility from the Applications/Utilities folder. When it comes up, look for the 450GB drive. There are two ways, but what I would do is select the Partition Tab. Click where it says Current and select 1 Partition. Select Mac OSX Extended Journalized. Click on Apply. It should start the partitioning. Should not take too long. 1 Minute at most.

If the drive does NOT show up in Disk Utility, report back.

OP
X
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Guys,

Many thanks for all of your replies.

I followed your advice, as per the instructions above, and everything worked a treat, the H/D is now up and running.

If only everything else in life was so easy.

once again; many thanks,

Stewart

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.