itunes corrupt files

Reaction score
HI Folks, im a new member searching for help with an itunes problem that no one seems to be able to answer on the mac website..
First let me say I have a 13inch macbook pro with OS 10.6.3 & itunes 10.5

My issue is in various parts:
1. I can no longer add any files to itunes either by add to library or drag & drop.. when i try either of these methods itunes goes into spinning beach ball mode & needs to be force quit.

2. itunes is corrupting some of my files for no particular reason. All of my files are aiff-c & are recorded from vinyl through pro-tools.. Recently some of them have gone from say 40 meg a file up to 80 or 90.. (this is the corruption i mentioned) they seem to be expanding in size & when you try to play them in itunes it goes into beach ball mode, then force quit is necessary. As i said this is happening on files that are already in itunes (as i cant add anymore at the moment) & it seems to be happening to more of them as time goes by..

3. I also use serato 2.0 which reads from my itunes folder so i don't know if this is having some effect on itunes or not..

So i am worried this is going to continue & corrupt all my files, let alone the fact that I cant add any more to itunes at present.

Last night i did a completely clean install of 10.6.3 & all programs fresh including itunes. As a test i imported one audio CD & thus itunes created a music folder & obviously worked at importing.. Then from a backup drive I dragged all my original aiff's into the new itunes music folder.. Then to get my playlists back i dragged the old itunes library file back in & copied it over the new one.. Great! i got my playlists back but i also got the same old issues-i.e. the ones i described above..

Anyone know where to go from here?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Well, had you not done a fresh install I would have suggested verifying permissions in disk utility as a first step.
But a clean install should really have solved that. However, no harm in trying at all, so I would do that first and see if it helps.
If not then I think it may well be Serato causing the issue. The only way to know will be to uninstall it and try without.

OP
O
Reaction score
HI, thanks for response.. Well i haven't actually reloaded serato since the clean install so unless it affected the files somehow already ( as i did bring these music files back in from my backup drive) then it isn't serato..
I think it must be in the itunes library file myself.. (itunes library.itl) Like i said i dragged & dropped the old one back over the new one to get all my playlists back & that's when i could no longer import.. So maybe it is also the culprit thats corrupting the file sizes...? perhaps if i ditched it & reimported & redid all of my playlists from scratch... AAAAARRRGGGHHHH... then it would be ok?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.