VMware Fusion 4: Questions regarding it

Reaction score
I've been using Boot Camp to use Windows but am tired of restarting my Mac every time. I am looking into using VMware Fusion 4 and was hoping someone can answer some questions I have regarding it!

As far as pros and cons go...

Pros
- one license lets you run it on multiple computers.
- can use Boot Camp partition as a VM. Lets you access Windows within OSX and lets you leave it and reboot into Windows like Boot Camp.
- Cost $50 for a limited time (end of 2011)

Cons
- Everything needs to be reactivated when loading Boot Camp after using it in VMware; this occurs only once.

Questions
- Can I run specific apps from Windows in OSX without needing to start up the VM? Like what if I want to just use Access real fast?

- When in full-screen mode, are resources being used differently than if in different modes?

- Is Unity view similar to Parallel's way of running individual apps from Windows in OSX?

- Will I get any of those markings on the all my icons like Parallels does?

- There is full screen mode, one window mode, and Unity mode. Is Boot Camp still an option with this?

- I am using a 2010 MBP with a 2.66 Core 2 Duo and 8GB of RAM, what would be the best way of splitting the resources to ensure smoothest operation in both OSes?

- After I exit running VMware, will my resource all be allocated back to Mac?

- Since Windows applications can be on Launchpad, does that mean they will also be in the Applications folder?

- If I migrate my Boot Camp into VMware, will it no longer be accessible as a Boot Camp option?

- How is uninstallation of VMware? Does it leave anything behind?

- I have 8GB RAM total, when I run VMware inside OS X, I will split the RAM in half. Would I then need to install Windows 32-bit since I am using 4GB RAM for Windows? I already have Windows 64-bit installed though.

Thank you for taking the time!

Reaction score
Please see my responses below IN CAPS

- Can I run specific apps from Windows in OSX without needing to start up the VM? YES YOU CAN BUT THE VM WILL BE RUNNING IN THE BACKGROUND AND USING RESOURCES Like what if I want to just use Access real fast? YOU CAN DO IT AS NOTED ABOVE.

- When in full-screen mode, are resources being used differently than if in different modes? NOT SYSTEM RESOURCES

- Is Unity view similar to Parallel's way of running individual apps from Windows in OSX? YES

- Will I get any of those markings on the all my icons like Parallels does? DON'T KNOW BECAUSE I DON'T USE PARALLELS

- There is full screen mode, one window mode, and Unity mode. Is Boot Camp still an option with this? YES YOU CAN CREATE A VM FROM A BC INSTALLATION AND THEN GO EITHER WAY (REBOOT INTO WINDOWS OR RUN THE VM)

- I am using a 2010 MBP with a 2.66 Core 2 Duo and 8GB of RAM, what would be the best way of splitting the resources to ensure smoothest operation in both OSes? YOU DIDN'T SPECIFY WHAT VERSION OF WINDOWS YOU WERE USING ONLY THAT YOU HAD 64 BIT INSTALLED. AS A GENERAL RULE, I WOULD START BY SPLITTING THE RESOURCES EVENLY THEN ADJUST AS NEEDED.

- After I exit running VMware, will my resource all be allocated back to Mac? YES

- Since Windows applications can be on Launchpad, does that mean they will also be in the Applications folder? DON'T KNOW AS HAVE NOT RUN A WIN VM SINCE UPGRADING TO LION. DEFER TO OTHERS

- If I migrate my Boot Camp into VMware, will it no longer be accessible as a Boot Camp option? NO IT WILL BE. SEE ABOVE. BUT YOU CAN'T CREATE A VM THEN MAKE A BOOT CAMP PARTITION FROM IT - IT ONLY WORKS ONE WAY -- BOOT CAMP FIRST THEN CREATE A VM FROM THAT.

- How is uninstallation of VMware? Does it leave anything behind? I'VE NOT HAD AN ISSUE WHEN I UNINSTALLED AND IF YOU DO, THERE ARE VARIOUS FREE UTILITIES TO ASSIST.

- I have 8GB RAM total, when I run VMware inside OS X, I will split the RAM in half. Would I then need to install Windows 32-bit since I am using 4GB RAM for Windows? I already have Windows 64-bit installed though. YOU DON'T NEED TO REINSTALL 32 BIT WINDOWS. 64 BIT WINDOWS WILL WORK FINE IN 4 GB. YOU COULD ALLOCATE MORE THAN 4 TO WINDOWS IF YOU LIKE - IT ALL DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU'LL BE USING WINDOWS AND OSX FOR WHEN THE VM IS RUNNING.

Thank you for taking the time![/QUOTE]

HOPE THAT HELPS AND OTHERS MAY CHIME IN TOO WITH THEIR EXPERIENCE.

Cheers!

OP
O
Reaction score
Thanks SammySlim for the insight! I am planning to use Windows 7 with my MacBook.

In Windows, I am not doing any gaming at all. I am mainly using it to use Microsoft Project, Access, Visual Studio 2010, Visio, and other various IT software. Would a VM be a good option still or Boot Camp?

Reaction score
I would think a VM sufficient, but as I noted above, if you're game to do it, I would install Windows under BC and then create a VM from it, so you can see what you like better. Just my two cents. I've not used Visual Studio or Visio so can't speak to whether those programs really need direct graphics hardware access to function appropriately.

Cheers

OP
O
Reaction score
I already am running Windows 7 64-bit via Boot Camp. I am tired of rebooting all the time so I am seeking to use VMware. I will take note of the import function, thank you!

So to be clear, I can import the Boot Camp image and use it for VMware? What is the difference between importing and just playing an image? Is it in boot time?

Reaction score
No, you misunderstand. Fusion will give you the option of creating a virtual machine from your existing Boot Camp installation if you have one. Then, once created, you can choose either to run your virtual machine or just reboot into Windows. You don't do any importing. Fusion does all the work. It's much easier just to do it than to explain it.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.