Using Wine to run programs?

Reaction score
Hey,

I've been making items for submission to Valve's game Team Fortress 2, but have hit a stumbling block thanks to their new upload requirements; the items have to be compiled.

The only way to do so is by using their freeware Source SDK application.

This is only available for PC and they do not intend to make a Mac port apparently...

I'm running on a Macbook Pro, OSX 10.6.8.
I don't have enough money to even think about buying/upgrading anything thanks to unemployment and loan debts, so...

Does anyone know if Wine can support the Steam application and Source SDK, or how I would find this out? Google isn't exactly being...helpful, and the Valve user forums are full of trolls who don't quite understand the meaning of "I don't have enough money to get a PC".
I can't run Steam games/applications on Parallels because it can't handle the load (ends up freezing/crashing), and I no longer have Bootcamp due to Windows XP fatally glitching. (can't find my XP install disk anyway so that option's gone)

Or, alternatively, are there any other freeware PC-support applications I can use to achieve this?

What needs to be done:
--install and/or open Steam on the skin/virtual machine
--install Source SDK (can only be done through Steam) onto the skin/VM
--run SDK (again, only through Steam) within the skin/VM, importing files from the Macbook
--export the final compiled .ZIP to the Mac

Macbook Specs:
2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Thanks in advance, any help is much appreciated.
Apologies if this is in the wrong section ^^;

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacOS Sonoma
Yes, Steam and Steam SDK work with CrossOver for Mac (a WINE like program for the Mac). You have to buy CrossOver though for £44.99 :(

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I feel for you. Lots of folks are hurting - no $$, no job. But as someone with experience using WINE, I can tell you that it would be a waste of time. There's no way WINE and its several ports are going to work. I've tried.

I'm not even sure Crossover is all that great. I have an older copy of their Pro version which no longer runs because of Lion but even when I used it in Snow Leopard it was buggy.

You might be able to pick up a copy of XP Home OEM system builder's edition on eBay at a decent price or check Craig's List. That's the best I can suggest for now.

OP
IceFlame1019
Reaction score
i'll look for another OEM but the thing is, I have NOTHING to spare right now. I'm living with my parents until I can afford an apartment or something, but i need a job first to build up to that point. I'm flat-broke, except a few quarters I found in a parking lot.

I need to find a way to compile these items because if Valve likes the items I generate, I get a share of the profits when that item is bought through the in-game store. That would be a foot in the door at least, plus something to put on a resume.

but I need a way to run Steam + SDK so I can compile the models. right now I'm having to rely on friends who have PCs, but...they're not exactly focused on the task >_>; it's been weeks now and I'm losing patience with their excuses to play MMOs all day.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.