Problem with my macbook

Reaction score
So i have a macbook unibody? i got it in august of 2010 for a graduation present.

i've had it with no problems and have loved it! A while back i left it in my friends garage and unfortunately it leaked right above my computer. When i returned it was covered in water the keyboard was full but the computer was off. so i figured it was asleep before it got filled. Well i drained it and let it dry for a week. turned it on and it functioned normally except for my keyboard and touchpad.

then i did an smc reset while the computer was on and it died. no response or anything. threw it in the trunk of my car and called it a day.
about a month later i plugged it in and it worked!

keyboard still messed up.

Right now i am using my laptop but i have a usb keyboard for a keyboard but my touch pad works. only if you hit the built in key board the mouse does not work. It seems the keyboard is stuck on control(internally) so whenever you click with the touch pad it right clicks. Any way i can fix this? dont say apple store.

Footnotes-

1. computer got some water
2. smc reset and no response from computer
3. usb keyboard, touch pad working
4. still messed up built in keyboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 In iMac, 1TB HDD, i3 processor,Running OS Lion.
I wont say apple store.....But why would you leave it in the Garage?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Yeah, unfortunately, water damage isn't covered by warranty :( Might have been better if at the time you had your friend contact his/her insurance company as it might have been covered under his/her insurance (possibly even yours depending on what kinds of insurance you have).

Right now you can either find a certified Apple repair center near you, or you can brave the repairs yourself by getting the parts off of ebay and finding a site with teardown instructions for your version of MB.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Apple will for sure charge you for water damage. You can find a keyboard maybe on iFixit. Give that a try. It might not be the easiest to replace, but also check iFixit for a take apart.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.