Newby to i Mac

Reaction score
Hi, just took ownership of a 27 inch i Mac. Looking good so far. !st question of many. Is there a way of temporary closing down the mac without losing my data or open website windows. Tried sending it to sleep but closes everything down that's open. Is there a feature like windows ctl-alt-del that locks it so no one can access it. I have already set up a password for when it does go to sleep, and start up.

Just need a way of quickly locking it and return 10 mins later without losing everything I had open.

Thanks

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Sleeping it shouldn't close down anything - it will operate exactly as you've described. You can also just sleep the monitor with cntrl-shift-eject

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Sleep should not close anything down. It just saves everything in its current state and goes into a low-power mode. When you click the mouse or touch a key, it should wake right up with everything just as you left it.

In System Preferences, there's a Security section where you can set your iMac to require a password upon waking up from sleep. System Preferences can be accessed from the Apple menu that's always at the top left of your menu bar.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.