Importing photos from documents

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 3.4 GHz i7, 8 GB Ram, SSD + HDD, Radeon HD 6970M 2GB,
I am a recent convert to iMac. Even so, this should be simple--but I am missing a step I guess.

I received an email with several attachments in the doc format. They are photos and scanned images I want to save. The creator just imbedded a photo into the document and added caption text.

I want to import the photos into iPhoto and save them, but I cannot figure out how to make this happen.

I can open the attached document in pages, and I can see the photos with the little squares on each corner. I have tried dragging to iPhoto, I have tried cut and paste. I cannot seem to get the photos.

When I import the attachments into iPhoto, it attempts the doc format and of course it is unrecognizable.

What am I missing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Extract images from a Word document (doesn't matter if that's a windows machine, the software should be the same.. and function the same)

once you have them as images somewhere, then you can import into iPhoto.

OP
OldJedi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 3.4 GHz i7, 8 GB Ram, SSD + HDD, Radeon HD 6970M 2GB,
Interestingly, although this didn't work for my document files, I was able to pull images from the html file you linked to. Maybe the problem is in pages.

I don't have office. I am viewing these documents in pages, which came with the iMac. I have saved the email attachments to the desktop as document files (*.doc) to eliminate iMail as the issue.

I open the document in pages. I can drag the image (which appears as a grayed-out silhouet) to the desktop, but when I release the mouse button the image is not saved there as it is when doing the same with the html page's image.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.