Home Wireless Connection

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I recently purchased a Mac Book Pro and have a relatively new Wireless system installed at home. I have the problem that every time my computer goes to sleep or the screen shuts off and I begin to use the machine again, I get the message that none of my preferred networks are available.

It then asks me for my password which I type in 100% correctly and it keeps saying invalid password even though it is the right password. If i hit enter enough times it eventually connects to the internet although the connection status at the top of the screen still flashes and indicates that it is still searching for a connection. I asked a friend who knows a lot about Macs and he said sometimes you just need to run a software update, which I have done and still no luck!

Does anyone know how I can get my laptop to always recognise my connection even when it has been put to sleep or I close the lid? Thanks so much!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved here to the proper forum.

As to your problem: Which method of encryption are you using for your wireless network? And, are you broadcasting the SSID (network name)? The error you describe is a known problem when using WEP encryption. WEP is unreliable and is not secure. If you are using WEP, switch to either WPA or WPA2.

OP
N
Reaction score
Moved here to the proper forum.

As to your problem: Which method of encryption are you using for your wireless network? And, are you broadcasting the SSID (network name)? The error you describe is a known problem when using WEP encryption. WEP is unreliable and is not secure. If you are using WEP, switch to either WPA or WPA2.

Under the Network Preferences > Wi-Fi, it says my Wireless Network name and then WPA/WPA2 Personal. Is that right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Under the Network Preferences > Wi-Fi, it says my Wireless Network name and then WPA/WPA2 Personal. Is that right?

Then click on Advanced then it will show you WPA/WPA2 in WI-FI.

OP
N
Reaction score
Ok thanks yeah I've done that, although they were the settings it was already on so I'm not sure if its going to fix the problem. I couldn't tell you atm if its fixed or not because sometimes it comes up with the error message when i come back to my computer and sometimes it doesn't. Is there any other possibilities that could be wrong with it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.