• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Forgot where I was!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro i5 / 4GB / 250GB
So I just acquired a 2007 MacBook. It is pretty beat up, and the HDD is dead. So I grabbed my Mandriva 2011 DVD to run it until there is a super deal on a new HDD. I was cruising around in firefox, and decided I wanted to listen to my music, so I went to load finder, and exclaimed "Where the heck is finder?!?" Then of course I remembered I was running Linux... LOL!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2015 15" rMBP, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB Storage, AMD Radeon R9 M370X, 10.11.1
lolololol

Good luck with the repair!

OP
Zeke_D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eh its gonna be more costly than I anticipated. Looks like I am gonna shelf the unit for now. I was hoping to fix it up to convince my wife to switch to mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Yes, when you're on a Macbook, you fully expect to be on OS X, so when there's no Finder I can imagine freaking out a little! ;D

OP
Zeke_D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep I am that broke. I've been underemployed for a year now. The parts I need to get this thing into shape are:
1: Hard drive ($40 on newegg)
2: Snow Leopard ($30 from Apple)
3: Superdrive ($dunno) [it takes 3 times to eject the disc]

Fortunately, I was able to pull the HDD and Ram out of my old windows PC, and a friend let me borrow her grey discs that came with her 2,1. I used her macbook to make an install image on an 8GB thumb drive. The previous owner did a real number on the case, and lost the HDD pull-tab thingy, as well as several screws, not to mention stripping several of them. I now have the unit up and running, but cant get bootcamp running (wont download driver disc) [I have a C# class I need windows for.] once I can figure out what is preventing bootcamp from happening, I will be all set on this thing.

Hard Drives for a Macbook do not cost that much. Are you that broke?

Not trying to be a pain either, just trying to help.

Here is one for an example. $44.00.

Newegg.com - HITACHI Travelstar Z5K500 HTS545032A7E380 (0J11283) 320GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yep I am that broke. I've been underemployed for a year now. The parts I need to get this thing into shape are:
1: Hard drive ($40 on newegg)
2: Snow Leopard ($30 from Apple)
3: Superdrive ($dunno) [it takes 3 times to eject the disc]

Sorry to hear about the "underemployed" status.

Don't forget to keep an eye on e-Bay and Craig's List. e-Bay for the Snow Leopard disk...and I often see various sized 2.5" SATA drives on Craig's List for below new retail prices. Check e-Bay for the superdrive as well (don't see them on CL).

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.