Sleeping MacBook?

Reaction score
So I know they say to just let it sleep instead of shutting it off but is it ok to put it in the case I bought for it while it's sleeping? Should I shut it down if i'm traveling with it?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Depends how far you are traveling with it.

When I go to school I just shut the lid and slide it into my messenger back and ride my bike to school. My school is about a 45 min commute.

Done that for three years without any problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
E-2011 MPB 13" i5 2.3GHz 8GB RAM OSX 10.7.1 iPhone 4 iPod Classic 160 GB
I *rarely* shut down altogether, sleep is the way to go. Occasionally, about once a week, I shut it down, but not because I see any "need" for it, just cuz I'm still living in Windows-land after so many years, where CONSTANT rebooting was the ONLY way to keep my machines "running" to spec.

OP
1yankeesfan
Reaction score
I *rarely* shut down altogether, sleep is the way to go. Occasionally, about once a week, I shut it down, but not because I see any "need" for it, just cuz I'm still living in Windows-land after so many years, where CONSTANT rebooting was the ONLY way to keep my machines "running" to spec.

Where do you keep it though? Just sitting out or in a case?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" Mid 2009 4GB 500GB 7200RPM, Macbook Pro 15" Mid 2010 8GB 750GB 7200RPM, iPhone 4

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I don't see it overheating unless it somehow wakes up while it's in that "case."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" Mid 2009 4GB 500GB 7200RPM, Macbook Pro 15" Mid 2010 8GB 750GB 7200RPM, iPhone 4
I don't see it overheating unless it somehow wakes up while it's in that "case."

Mine never felt hot or overheated when I pulled it out of my messenger bag. I thought the same thing about it somehow turning on, but then again I've never had mine in a case like that.

C

chas_m

Since there's a chance that something (a bump, a program still running) could wake up the Mac while it's in a case or bag, I generally advise people to shut it down when travelling with it for any long distances.

For short distances, or if you are the sort of person (like me) who closes all apps before sleeping, the risk is minimal so you can sleep it if you like. That's my advice, YMMV.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
E-2011 MPB 13" i5 2.3GHz 8GB RAM OSX 10.7.1 iPhone 4 iPod Classic 160 GB
Where do you keep it though? Just sitting out or in a case?

Never sitting in a case asleep, other than the short trip to work. Maybe an hour max sometimes. But my "case" is just a nylon carry-all, not a true padded and insulated case that would lend itself to overheating.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
I never travel with my MBP asleep. When I go on trips, I shut it down. Call it habit or whatever, but I just have piece of mind. Besides, it only takes about 30 seconds to turn on anyway.

When I am at home, I do not shut it down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
What kind of lousy, cheapo cases are you buying that would allow your computers to pop open? Any decent case will hold your computer snugly enough that any jolt severe enough to pop the computer open would have to be so severe that it would damage the computer anyway. Any case that doesn't probably isn't worth buying. Macs are expensive to fix; good cases are cheaper than repairs.

And a sleeping computer generates no heat, so that won't be an issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
I have 2 great cases, but I still power down completely. It is force of habit and piece of mind.

C

chas_m

It's not just a bump that might wake the computer; LOTS of people have their machines set to "join any available wifi network" or "wake on network activity" -- or forget to close their programs before sleeping which COULD (under certain circumstances) wake the machine back up.

Deckyon's advice is sound. Given that it takes no appreciable time to start up anymore (this used to be a bigger factor than it is now), and that it's a good idea to shut down the Mac every once in a while, plus the peace-of-mind factor makes shutting down when travelling with the Mac a good idea.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree with chas. The advice he gave is sound and may just prevent an unfortunate accident if the machine does wake at an inopportune time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
Since there's a chance...

The only part of the phrase that should matter when you are carrying a 2000-3000$ + computer.

Don't take the chance, I've fried a logic board because a program woke my MBP from sleep.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
It's not just a bump that might wake the computer; LOTS of people have their machines set to "join any available wifi network"
Which does not apply when the machine is asleep
or "wake on network activity
Which does not apply to wi-fi networks while asleep
-- or forget to close their programs before sleeping which COULD (under certain circumstances)
No ordinary application can do this. Even specialty apps like Sleepless won't wake a Mac that was deliberately put to sleep.

The only way your laptop could be woken while properly packed away is by Bluetooth, or by deliberately setting it to wake according to a schedule in System Preferences. And the latter will start the computer even if it's shut down. (If you use Bluetooth, you should turn discoverability off and leave behind or turn off any Bluetooth devices.)

There is always some danger in carrying a $1000+ computer around in the wide world. Sleep does not elevate these risks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.