Accessing ZBKBOOKMARK table in ibooks sqlite

Reaction score
Dear All
Bookmark feature in iBooks is, no doubt, an awesome feature implemented for epub and pdf format. After reading a lot over internet, I got to know that though epubcfi is some standard for annotation and bookmark but every epub and pdf reader implements its own way to implement that.

Talking about iBooks, bookmarks are certainly not stored in the epub itself and it is stored somewhere on device. The best reference for this which I could get:
Extracting highlights from iBooks (IPad or iPhone) « Experimental geek's Blog

Now, my question is that, suppose we have access for backup folder of iBooks, can we implement the steps mentioned in above link using objective-c?

Or is their any better way (the only aim is to get list of all bookmarks generated for epub or pdf)?

Regards
Sagar

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
If your question is, "Can I use Objective-C to access the extracted SQLite database", then of course you can. You can write an Objective-C program that works with SQLite databases.

What purpose would a list of bookmarks give you. That link you posted gives you something of more substance, the content marked.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi. My question is not like " Can I use Objective-C to access the extracted SqLite database". My question is more short of "Is it possible to write a program in objective-c that can have access for sqlite file that is located inside iBooks application folder".
I dont want someone to take backup of iBooks application manually first and then objective-c to extract backup and then extract sqlite from there.

That would be nice enough if code in objective-c has access to app folder of iBooks. I am afraid this is not so possible or at least not so easy. :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Nope, not possible on the device (at lest not on a non-jailbroken device). Applications are all sandboxed, preventing App A from being able to access anything that has to do with App B.

The only time you can access other apps data is if one app exports data to your app (the sending app has to support exporting data, and your app has to have registered as being able to handle the file type that the exporting app will put out) OR there is a public API allowing you to hook into the data (like the address book).

Jailbroken devices are a different story, but you can't release an app on the iTunes store meant for jailbroken devices :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.