• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Help me spend/save money

Reaction score
Welp every few months i need a few new toys. just bought my wife a new iphone 4s (im stuck with the iphone 4) and for tat i need some gear..

first i don't have a back up HDD and i am looking at the time capsule 2tb but just wondering if this is old technology are they newly released? should i go for a cheaper back up hdd for a cheaper price?

also looking at the apple tv is this newly released? can you hook more that one device to it does it have video in and video out? how do people like there apple tvs?

i have a new tv a plasma panny and altho i love it i hate it only has 3 hdmi ports (what a bummer) i currently have a wii,ps3,dvr,xbox 360, macbook pro and 3d dvd player that i would like to hook up to it anyone have any suggestions?

welp i guess now that ball is in all your court just need some help/advice.

(i am also kicking around the idea of a mac mini)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
What are you doing for audio for that set up?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
What are you doing for audio for that set up?

+1 on that.
I have a Denon receiver hooked to my gear.

Personally, I'd wait on the Apple TV since it looks like an update is coming.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Thanks for the input i didn't know that. how soon they looking to update.. see this is the input i am looking for.. :)

Not sure but they found references to what appears to be an updated ATV in IOS 5.

OP
RustProofCorn
Reaction score
man some input on a receiver would be great. there are way to many options and i know almost nothing about them. i know i want 3d capabilities and a lot of hdmi ports. thats all i really know. i don't really want to spend more that 400-500

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Onkyo,Denon and Pioneer make some great receivers my preference would be Onkyo
do to better amps in the 4 ohm range and Audessy Room Correction but you might have
to bump that amount by 100. As for speakers you did not list a budget but Paradigm,Klipsch,Polk and SVS make some nice affordable to expensive speakers.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I'd agree pretty much with all the manufacturers osxx listed above.

At the price point, typically no one can touch an Onkyo and I've been a fan since they first started out - I was selling hifi gear back then. Here's a sample - Onkyo TX-NR609, $600 at BB and <$400 at Amazon, 6 HDMI inputs, and about every audio feature you can name. You'll find them to be the #1 recommended/purchased brand for all of us wanna be audio aficionados that can't afford a $1200-$2000 receiver. At Amazon's price the 709 & 809 are worth taking a look at also. Denon and Pioneer should have something competing at the price point - for sure at the 709 & 809 price points, but usually seem to be missing some feature you get with Onkyo.

I have never looked at their "home theater in a box" stuff. Would think they'd be better than any of the competition, but the speakers at that price probably suck, just like everyone else's.

The thing is with audio gear - while you're getting a new toy - you can sell it as being for the entire family. ;D
It will involve some work though, getting all those speakers positioned and set up and keeping the wifey happy. Have all of mine ceiling mounted except for the center channel and sub with all wiring run inside the walls.

OP
RustProofCorn
Reaction score
think i am leaning torwards this model only because if the extra hdmi ports as well as the hdmi port in the front for my macbook pro. Onkyo TX-NR709 7.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I've always been a fan of Sony's Home Theater Surround Sound system. I got one my my basement's projection theater room. It's 6.1 with 1000 watts. It was north of $700(back in the day), but I knew what I wanted and saved up for it. It was my second Sony system. I'm not a huge Sony fan, but I love their theater systems! I wouldn't change my setup even if you gave something else for free...well, unless it was a B&O system:)

When it comes to audio, I don't expect to have the BEST sounding system(because I'm not crapping benjamins), but I want the best bang for buck in my budget. I also had a subscription to Home Theater Magazine and chose what the pros recommended for each category.

However, if I didn't have my current system, and it wasn't available to buy, and I HAD to buy something like it, it would be the Pioneer VSX-1021. Not a single doubt about it! It's the best bang for buck in my opinion...if you wanted to know.

This thread has got me feeling the urge to watch some movie. I also purchased a PS3 over the weekend to add to my theater collection. Still waiting for it to come in. Going to be sweet 0.o!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
first i don't have a back up HDD and i am looking at the time capsule 2tb but just wondering if this is old technology are they newly released? should i go for a cheaper back up hdd for a cheaper price?
Is there a specific reason you are looking into the TimeCapsule?
I wouldn't spend that kind of money on one. I also don't trust one single unit for backups. I like redundancy...which is why I have 6 different backup hdd's(1 for MBP TimeMachine, 1 for PowerMac TimeMachine, 1 for itunes/iphoto files, 1 for game files, and 1 for apps/programs, and 1 hdd for every file in one place). I lost some very important photo's and files a while back...that's not going to happen again! Just buy a nice enclosure(I like Fantom Drives or Macally enclosures). And stick a nice hdd in it(Western Digital/Seagate Barracuda).

also looking at the apple tv is this newly released? can you hook more that one device to it does it have video in and video out? how do people like there apple tis?
Don't know about the new Apple TV. Only know rumors about it, which mean nothing to me. I have the first gen Apple TV, and I enjoy it A LOT! I briefly had the new Apple TV2 and returned it because I wanted it to actually store items in it when I travel. The Apple TV 1 was great at that!

welp i guess now that ball is in all your court just need some help/advice.
So, you just want revenge on your wife, and want to go on a spending spree....hmmmm...what would I do? hmmmm...how much money are you willing to spend?

(i am also kicking around the idea of a mac mini)
Turn it into a server!

OP
RustProofCorn
Reaction score
i was looking at the timecapsule just because it looked like you could use it as a backup drive plus a wireless router.. without having to hook up to a back up hdd i thought would be happy..

OP
RustProofCorn
Reaction score
OH MAN! am i going crazy with looking for a receiver. i am such a nervous guy about doing something stupid. i always want the best but never have the money for it lol..

i have about 800 bones right now burning a hole in my pocket..

goal is audio receiver,hdd back up, partridge in a pear tree

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
what do you guys think of this model Yamaha RX-V671BL AV Receiver

I am sure quality control is better than when I used them but their switching
key word was horrible I hope they fixed it. Our company quit using them because their amps were not compatible with our clients speakers as in all but
their top of the line seems to hate 4ohm loads where as the one I listed earlier
do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Equipment Reviews | Home Theater

That's one of my favorite theater sites. Look up the units you like for the price you can afford.

Hint hint: look at the receiver I posted in my first comment:)

Here, I'll post it for you because I'm feeling nice:): http://www.hometheater.com/content/pioneer-vsx-1021-av-receiver
It's Apple AirPlay compatible. It's an Apple fanboy's dream!

Here too:http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-VSX-1021-K-Theater-Receiver-Glossy/dp/B004M8RPBI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1318390807&sr=1-1

OP
RustProofCorn
Reaction score
Equipment Reviews | Home Theater

That's one of my favorite theater sites. Look up the units you like for the price you can afford.

Hint hint: look at the receiver I posted in my first comment:)

Here, I'll post it for you because I'm feeling nice:): Pioneer VSX-1021 A/V Receiver | Home Theater
It's Apple AirPlay compatible. It's an Apple fanboy's dream!

Here too:Amazon.com: Pioneer VSX-1021-K 7.1 Home Theater Receiver, Glossy Black: Electronics

I did look at the pioneer the onkyo and the yamaha they only reason i asked about the yamaha is because of the reviews along with the satisfaction by consumers on that particular product. when looking at a receiver (which i have never had one) what features are you looking for? i saw the air play i thought that was cool. also the pioneer seems to be the cheapest of the bunch

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did look at the pioneer the onkyo and the yamaha they only reason i asked about the yamaha is because of the reviews along with the satisfaction by consumers on that particular product. when looking at a receiver (which i have never had one) what features are you looking for? i saw the air play i thought that was cool. also the pioneer seems to be the cheapest of the bunch

I look at the amp section especially the output at 4ohm why because 99%
of all speakers 200Hz and below seem to dip down in and below that region
if the amp can't meet the demand then clipping occurs which takes tweeters and crossovers out. What is the output 20Hz to 20KHz with all channels driven at .05% distortion this will also give a hint to dynamics.
The next thing I look at is separate power supplies so the unit is not robbing Peter to pay Paul.
A good room correction program I prefer Audessey. With 5.1 or more its almost impossible to accurately do it by ear.
Input/output selection make sure it has what will meet your needs and some room for future additions. At least 5 HDMI inputs and 2 optical.

OP
RustProofCorn
Reaction score
when looking for 4ohm if it says 8ohm is that better or worse?

the three units i am looking at:yamaha rx-v671;pioneer VSX-1021;Onkyo TX-NR709

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.