RAID 3 possible?

D

Desprez

Well, I'm not sure if this is the best place to pose this question, but I anticipate that the primary machine accessing this array will be my powerbook. If anyone can recommend a different forum, I'm open to ideas.

I'm looking to create a RAID using 5 x 250GB external firewire drives connected through a firewire hub.

I'd like to go with RAID 3. (Less CPU intensive than RAID 5) I can get the firewire drives for $160 apiece (anyone find a better deal?), so theoretically, this setup will give me 1TB for $800. (+ tax and the hub <$1000. I'm not planning on spending $5000 on an xserve solution!)

However, I can't seem to find any software that will do RAID 3 or 5 for the mac, and the PCI solutions aren't going to work too well on a powerbook. (Disk Utility only does RAID 0 and 1, and going RAID 1 will end up costing about 50% more.)

Unless my research has caused me to misunderstand how a RAID setup works, this seems to be a good bang for the buck. Seeing as most raid enclosures cost $300-$1500 for 4 or 5 bays not including the disks and or controlers, it seems cheaper to just get several external drives and run them in software since i'm more interested in the recoverability aspects than speed anyway.

Does anyone know of any software than will run RAID 3? Is what I describe possible?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.