PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading to iPhone 4s or waiting for iPhone 5?

RavingMac
10-05-2011, 02:14 PM
Why am I posting this as a poll?
1) Boredom . . . I enjoy reading the often insightful responses even the most routine questions sometimes engender
2) It's been a while since I posted a poll (see #1 above)
3) A snapshot of our community reaction to the iPhone 4s and Keynote would be interesting

As for myself, I will be upgrading (currently have the 3Gs) but may wait a month or two to do it and play with IOS 5 on my 3Gs before changing hardware.

CrimsonRequiem
10-05-2011, 02:46 PM
I dunno yet. The new 4Gs is tempting. Especially since I'm still using a first gen iPhone. :P

https://img.skitch.com/20110318-py27a8scryhb4g7ydyh78fnea8.jpg

With a cracked screen. ^-^ Still works so we will see.

RavingMac
10-05-2011, 02:59 PM
I dunno yet. The new 4Gs is tempting. Especially since I'm still using a first gen iPhone. :P

https://img.skitch.com/20110318-py27a8scryhb4g7ydyh78fnea8.jpg

All I can say is , "Wow!"

Do you have any hand-crank land lines around the house? ;)

Dysfunction
10-05-2011, 03:30 PM
I'll be upgrading, my 3gs is kind of tired ;)

osxx
10-05-2011, 03:34 PM
I voted satisfied with my iPhone 4 and so far I am what will probably happen is one of my friends will get the 4s and let me play with it and it will all be over but the want to upgrade. Hi I am Oz and I am an Apple junkie that is the first step is it not ?

bobtomay
10-05-2011, 03:47 PM
Am sure I'll hit the store within a couple of days of release, if not on the day of.

It's got enough extra, think it'd be a worthwhile upgrade from the 3GS.
But need to see if I can get past the square design.
Maybe I should go for a hand replacement and get a hand that's square instead of curved.

slow3st
10-05-2011, 04:07 PM
Voted. I'm due for an upgrade. I'm still on 3G lol

BrianLachoreVPI
10-05-2011, 04:08 PM
What about the category for those of us who have been lugging around blackberries for years but are finally going to make the leap to an iPhone (I think). I don't know that I view the 4s necessarily as a 'significant' upgrade from the last model - but considering everyday I want to smash my blackberry to tiny little pieces - it'll do. :)

RavingMac
10-05-2011, 04:30 PM
What about the category for those of us who have been lugging around blackberries for years but are finally going to make the leap to an iPhone (I think). I don't know that I view the 4s necessarily as a 'significant' upgrade from the last model - but considering everyday I want to smash my blackberry to tiny little pieces - it'll do. :)

You have my blessing to use your Mod powers to add another category if you wish.

BrianLachoreVPI
10-05-2011, 05:47 PM
You have my blessing to use your Mod powers to add another category if you wish.
Hehe - how's that? :)

RavingMac
10-05-2011, 05:49 PM
Hehe - how's that? :)

If you're happy, I'm happy. ;)

bobtomay
10-05-2011, 06:09 PM
Just for you. :P

BrianLachoreVPI
10-05-2011, 06:34 PM

Hehe - even better :D

RavingMac
10-05-2011, 08:07 PM

Bob, that was worth some Rep, but I have to spread the love some more before I can give it.
My only real complaint is I've already voted so I can't vote for your new category. :D

BrianLachoreVPI
10-05-2011, 08:37 PM
I wonder if the company would make a stink if I held a ceremonial blackberry smashing session - before giving it back to them? Seriously - every time I have to wait 20-30 s just to get to the dialog box to enter my password so I can make a call it's all I can do not to throw it as far as I can - I can't wait to get rid of this thing. :)

CrimsonRequiem
10-05-2011, 09:23 PM
All I can say is , "Wow!"

Do you have any hand-crank land lines around the house? ;)

Oh you bet. I can't get enough of that old tyme technology. :P

Doug b
10-05-2011, 11:21 PM
This is a tough one.. But there's an category missing: "happy with current non- iphone/blackberry phone"

And the truth is that I do really enjoy using my EVO, have no complaints about Sprint or the reception. But the other side of it is that the 4gS truly is a vast improvement over the 4. Don't expect the iPhone 5 to be an improvement over the 4gS other than in terms of aesthetics, if that. After all, aesthetics are a personal, subjective thing.

SIRI will only get better with time, specs such as the processor and memory will usually always get a bump up from time to time, and there's really only so far they can take the silly megapixel marketing with the current size of the sensor...

I'd say at unless you really hate the design of the current model, just go for it, it's a killer phone!

Doug

cwa107
10-05-2011, 11:45 PM
I had a feeling that a modestly improved 4S would follow the 4. I only bought my 4 when it launched on VZW, so I'm still well within contract. I'm hoping by the time I'm ready for renewal, the 5 will be out on 4G.

XJ-linux
10-06-2011, 12:19 AM
My 4 is fine. I'll buy whatever looks good in a few years.

RavingMac
10-06-2011, 09:24 AM
The results and comments have been interesting (as always). For me this decision was from the beginning which phone to upgrade to, not will I upgrade. My 3Gs has been off contract for almost a year and I am ready for a new toy. The only question was go for last years model at a discount or this years intro.

In my case I will probably wait until after Christmas (when my wallet cools off), but am really looking forward to playing with IOS 5 in the interim.

kribensis12
10-06-2011, 04:26 PM
I currently am using a non smart phone. It's on the version network and dubbed "LG Cosmos Touch". I prefer to call it "the most useless piece of poop to ever exist". Why you may ask?

-The touch screen SUCKS. Not responsive at all, and irritating.
-The processor is very slow and when your texting, you can finish hitting the buttons and then watch for the next 20 seconds as it is still typing what you entered.
-The keyboard is odd. Not a fan
-Sometimes when you open it up, the screen flickers black then works normally.
-It refuses to text certain numbers. You can enter it in correctly ect and send it, but the other phone never receives it.

Pretty much a piece of poop. So, I wanted to upgrade to the iPhone 4 like 5 months ago. But decided I would wait until the new one came out. I feel obligated to buy such a nice phone! I can't wait to get my paws on it!

MacDude121
10-06-2011, 09:44 PM

Haha, same here. Except my 1st get has a line of dead pixels instead of a crack.

My motto is, if it still works, why replace it? I'm just gonna use it until it dies. :P