• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

iOS 5 available October 12

Reaction score
iOS 5 available October 12

1004ios51012.jpg

Apple has announced that its next-generation mobile OS, iOS 5, will launch to the public on October 12. It will be a free upgrade for the iPad, iPad 2, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and the third- and fourth-generation iPod touches.

iOS 5 includes a number of new features, including a revamped notifications system, improved Camera app, iMessages, and many other tweaks and improvements.

The "gold master" version of iOS 5 has not yet been released as of this writing, but it will likely be released today if the public release is due eight days from today.

iOS 5 available October 12 originally appeared on TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog on Tue, 04 Oct 2011 13:45:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

SourceÂ*|Â*PermalinkÂ*|Â*Email thisÂ*|Â*Comments

Read more

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
To be honest, iOS5 is not likely to be of much use to me.

I have an iPhone3G and an iPad1.

The iPhone3G would not run iOS5 and after the way that was ruined by installing iOS4 on it, I am not likely to risk putting iOS5 on my treasured iPad.

An iPod Touch 3G would be worth considering, although I doubt they would make one of those.

Hope they prove me wrong about that though :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
IOS5 is free. No price announced on iCloud as yet but I know some of the services are free.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
To be honest, iOS5 is not likely to be of much use to me.

I have an iPhone3G and an iPad1.

The iPhone3G would not run iOS5 and after the way that was ruined by installing iOS4 on it, I am not likely to risk putting iOS5 on my treasured iPad.

An iPod Touch 3G would be worth considering, although I doubt they would make one of those.

Hope they prove me wrong about that though :)

The iPhone 3g in NO WAY will run IOS5. It's a dead device as far as any upgrades. Sorry. I still use my 3G because I am poor and cant' afford a 4.

IOS5 is supposed to fly on the first gen iPad. Will find out soon enough.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The iPhone 4s does look interesting so far.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
IOS5 is free. No price announced on iCloud as yet but I know some of the services are free.

iOS5 will be free to iOS and Lion users with the standard 5gb space. It's extra if you want more.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iOS 5 is a free update that ships October 12. Developers get the gold master today.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
I really liked my iPhone3G until I let myself be tempted into upgrading it to iOS4. This completely messed up the iPhone at first. I ended up having to reinstall it after it refused to accept any backups less than about 4 months old.

When I did get it to work again it was SO much slower than it had been with iOS3. It works but there is no pleasure in using it, so I tried Android.

I bought an excellent Android phone for £100 instead of an iPhone4 for £450. Not hard to choose there. For day to day use the Android is perfectly acceptable for less than a quarter of the price.

I would still prefer to go back to an iPhone, but I can't afford that.

I was hoping the new phone would be iPod Touch shaped. I don't really like the 'flat front and back' design of the iPhone4.

It sounds as if those rumours were untrue - the new phone is basically an iPhone4S, so same design as at present. No doubt more expensive as well, especially with Apple's $1 = £1 exchange rate :D

I don't suppose the new iPod Touch DOES have 3G, does it? Probably just the same as existing but with iOS5. Pity :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
soon to be another iMac owner
any word on when the pre-ordering will begin?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I'm LOVING Siri!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
That's it folks! No iPhone5!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
That's it folks! No iPhone5!

Well, it depends. This IS the 5th Gen iPhone, it's just CALLED the iPhone 4s. Anyone who honestly thought this was going to be the iPhone 5, or a whole new model, was way off base. iPhone 5 (or iPhone 6) will be next year. Apple's sticking to it's update routine more or less but this shouldn't be a surprise...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Well, it depends. This IS the 5th Gen iPhone, it's just CALLED the iPhone 4s. Anyone who honestly thought this was going to be the iPhone 5, or a whole new model, was way off base. iPhone 5 (or iPhone 6) will be next year. Apple's sticking to it's update routine more or less but this shouldn't be a surprise...

It will be called the iPhone5 when they redesign it, so no iPhone5. iPhone4S? Yep!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I'm not too surprised about the no show for an iPhone 5. The 4 is still only one generation new and a complete redesign would be rather too soon IMO. It was more of the hyped up rumors that got people thinking of a redesign. An iPhone 4S makes more sense so I wasn't too disappointed.

This was more of just a speed bump in specs for those people who need it. It's also very good news for travelers and people who might switch phone carriers from GSM to CDMA.

I was looking forward to iOS 5 more than anything else anyway. Although was it only me that thought Siri was cool but was wondering when Siri was going to protest and say I don't want to be your serving slave anymore today? ;)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The 4s is a redesign on the Inside, just not the outside.

Agreed with Baggss 10000%! :D

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Just a tad disappointed as I would have liked to see iPhone 5 come out, but excited to finally get IOS 5! :)
Oct 12th with be a busy download day.

Reaction score
iOS 5 will be the one piece of software I plan to put on my supported iOS devices (namely my 4th gen iPod touch and my first gen iPad).

I really had no expectations of this event to be honest. New iPhone? Sure. New iPods? Welllll...more of a refresh. Can't complain here, I'm happy with the iPod touch I have now.

There's always next year folks! :D

Side note: One tiny complaint: I kinda expected Siri to be on all iOS devices, but it looks like it's stuck with iPhone for now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro

It leads one to wonder if future iPhone releases will be as follows... iPhone 5, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6s, etc. etc.
Just throwing that out there. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.