Does this archiving set up make sense?

Reaction score
I want to start being a bit more forward thinking about how I backup data since HD footage takes up crazy memory.

I was all set to set up a full on RAID and switch to swappable drives but I'm thinking about not doing it and I want to talk it through with people.

This year, I'm going to finish editing two projects. One of them is 4TB of data that I have on 2 2tb drives. The other one i havent edited yet, but I dont imagine needing more than 2TB of data. Beyond those two project, I have my computer, music library, and DVD library backed up on some 1TB drives (everything combined comes in under 1TB. it's on multiple drives) and older film work all fits on one 1TB drive that I also have backed up multiple times.

I'll be starting a long term project next year that will be my largest one yet, but I will be shooting for over a year before I even begin editing. The storage need that will have is simply storing AVCHD cards.

I'm thinking that I will hold off on buying a more complicated set up because it seems my needs can be met by buying a bunch of 2TB external drives. For the projects I'm editing this year, I can pack up the larger one on two 2TB and the other one on 2TB. Not all those drives need be G-Tech/expensive drives (what I use for editing) because I wont be editing off all those drives. Some will be simply for backup.

I didnt realize how cheap 2tb drives go now; I was seeing ones from major brands like Western Digital on Amazon for under 90. I thought I would save money by going to swappable external HD's but it seems worth the extra money to have ones that are enclosed and portable, as I can use them anywhere instead of needing to make sure I can insert the swappable drive somewhere.

Bottom line: I'm thinking of buying a bunch of enclosed external HDs, half of which will be G-Tech HDs I use to edit, and the other ones being Western Digital or some similar brand.

Make sense? Am I missing something here? Any advice would be great!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.