How to record live audio using Mac-need quick response please...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
E-2011 MPB 13" i5 2.3GHz 8GB RAM OSX 10.7.1 iPhone 4 iPod Classic 160 GB
OK, I hope someone can help me. I'd like to use my Mac to record live music, and I'd like to do so this evening. Of course I have GarageBand, does this have a record option? And, if so, what will I need for the interface, like a mic and how to connect? Nothing fancy, just wanna record a great local band that doesn't mind recording. I can get what i need today, just need to know what to get and how to interface it with my Mac. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 Xeon 6gb DDR2 1TB OSX Server
I'd go with a shure sm57 mic, great all around mic for the price. And a usb interface like a m-audio fast track would do just fine. Just open up your garageband and select your input device to your usb interface.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
dont use a Shure SM57. thats a dynamic cardioid mic, and while it is a great mic, it aint gonna do a great job. the frequency response is dipped at the top end so you wont get much of the ride in there, and it aint amazing at the lowend either. and it would be in mono.

honestly, one of the best things for recording bands at gigs with barely any equipment are the Zoom H1 Recorders. These generally record in Stereo, are condensor mics (better top end and more even lows). Have a look on their website for some examples of gigs recorded with them, they arent half bad. they record to SD card, so you dont need a Mac with you.

Unless you are allowed to use the gear at the event, in which case you might see if there are some spare outputs you can borrow on the mixer, feed them into a two channel interface, and bam, you have it right there.

Of course you could always go overkill on it.

OP
GratefulMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
E-2011 MPB 13" i5 2.3GHz 8GB RAM OSX 10.7.1 iPhone 4 iPod Classic 160 GB
How about if I can patch to the board? A USB interface for that?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
How about if I can patch to the board? A USB interface for that?

depends what outputs you have and in what form. if you have a stereo mix output, you can use your internal MBP soundcard, providing you have a suitable connector.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.