• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

eMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.33GHz 12" iBook; iMac G3 333Mhz; Use Dual 2Ghz PM G5's
I was looking at the new iMac (great) and I noticed that the eMac has been removed from the site. I guess it was about time, still using a G4 in a large desktop, and using iMac G3 style with the CRT.

Is there a desktop between the Mac Mini and the iMac to come with the updates in the next updates? (when would they be, Holiday Shopping season?)

Whaddaya Say?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
maybe a 15" emac in the version of the g5 imac with a 17 like the intro versions of the imac g5. there needs to be an inbetween these to levels of computer.

OP
validpretense
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Its gotta start at around $800

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i would think that would be feasible in a few months, especially around christmas?

B

Badger

The eMac is still there but it has been moved to the education section. I guess that means that it has been isolated to the education market the way it was when it came out. That makes sense for Apple. They'll be able to force entry-level buyers to the mini.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
the only reason apple still makes it is for education puroposes. Schools like it because it cant be tipped over, dropped, etc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 1.2 1.25Gig RAM Emac 1.42Ghz 1GB RAM
I guess the mac mini killed the eMac in the retail consumer market. It's a bit of a shame too, i consider the eMac to be far better than the mini =/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Looks as if the eMac is still available as a normal desktop computer here (New Zealand) but is only on the education list in the USA. Different rules for different countries?
We don't have an iTunes store, No Apple store either but anyone can buy an eMac.

The mini doesn't cut it and the beaut iMac is out of my reach. ......... I love my eMac. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
torchy said:
Looks as if the eMac is still available as a normal desktop computer here (New Zealand) but is only on the education list in the USA. Different rules for different countries?
Well, to be honest, it was the e(ducation)Mac first. It was intended for schools, and never really intended for consumer sales....it just happened that way. With the Mini in place, the eMac can take its rightful place back on the Education Store.
:black:

OP
validpretense
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is true. However, the education aspect seemed to also be for consumer sales, for people with children and for their education. I just want to see a cheaper G5, I thought that might be what that was about.

N

nickuss04

I work at a school and the eMac is almost perfect for educational uses. The only downside is the tray-load dvd-rom which in a school is suceptaple(spelling) to vandelism.

The pros are great though. They have a tuff CRT, strong, easy to set-up (far easier than PC's), reliable and cheap (AUS$1400). Our lease of 50 x 600mhz iMacs is ending this year and the changeover will certainly be eMacs. Earlier this year we put in 8 new eMacs into a media lab and the included software is great. Students have actually got right into GarageBand and are even making original full-length songs including vocals. iMovie is great too, some really awesome movies have been produced in the media lab.

I was a bit worried when I could no longer see the eMac on the Aussie Apple store but its good to know they are still available through the edu store. It would be a shame if the eMac was discontinued because there is too much of a jump in price and specs from the Mini to the iMac.

They are a perfect school machine.

Z

zap2

macEfan said:
the only reason apple still makes it is for education puroposes. Schools like it because it cant be tipped over, dropped, etc

iMac g5 is a lot more weight then it looks(thanks to the bottom) but still eMac are the best for schools

A cheap G5 1.6ghz "tower" to replace the eMac for home users!! It would be 2/3 of the Mac Minis thickness and length and width would be the same as teh new iMac G5. It could haev frontrow and have a high grapics card so it could work like media PC but would not have to~

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.