Question- Aperture 2/Lion

Reaction score
Quick question for you guys (and girls).
Anyone know if Aperture 2 is compatible with Lion?
I have an iMac 24" al. running Lion and just picked up a still factory wrapped full install of Aperture 2 for $30 and was going to upgrade to Aperture 3, that way I only have $130 into Ap3 instead of the $200 full install.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
???

I'd suggest re-selling the copy of Aperture 2 for what you can get for it. Aperture 3 is only $80 on the App store and can be installed on every Mac you own (up to 5 I think) that uses your Apple ID.

The $200 boxed version can only be installed on 2 computers - one notebook and one desktop.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Checking the App Store is a must before purchasing any software now. Just being able to install on all your Macs and not worrying about single licenses is a big plus - not to mention, Apple is not the only one that's reduced their prices when purchasing in the App Store either.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Checking the App Store is a must before purchasing any software now. Just being able to install on all your Macs and not worrying about single licenses is a big plus - not to mention, Apple is not the only one that's reduced their prices when purchasing in the App Store either.

A big +1 to that.
I have an upgrade code for Scrivenor that I have been sitting on for a month (or more) and have finally decided not to use. It will cost me $20 bucks more to just rebuy the newest version from the App Store, but the convenience and portability is worth it.

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the only issue with buying Aperture on the app store is when there is an upgrade, you can't upgrade it, you need to buy the new product.

rot

Reaction score
To answer the original question, yes. Aperture 2 is compatible with Lion. I just got through installing it on the Lion OS and it works fine.

Reaction score
To answer the original question, yes. Aperture 2 is compatible with Lion. I just got through installing it on the Lion OS and it works fine.

Hello,

Thanks for the answer, I have recently purchased a MBP (installed Lion), Snow Leopard, and Windows 7 on three separate partitions.

I had long ago, purchased Aperture 1.0 (or 1.5), then Aperture 2.0, and recently bought Aperture 3.0,
(actually wound up with two (2) copies of Aperture 3, won both auctions on that BIG online site..! :) :[ - I don't really NEED two copies of the same software package...

I will be finding out pretty soon, hoping yet this evening, as installing other software as well, how the Aperture installation path works: 1.5 --> 2 -->3.

Thanks for the results you had...

(Did it install without any "SPECIAL", interaction, straight-up, easy install?

Have a nice evening,

Ed

Reaction score
I have aperture 2 on my mbp. Just upgraded to Lion. Aperture works fine. However, some software from Nik Software will crash aperture 2 when i try to use it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I have aperture 2 on my mbp. Just upgraded to Lion. Aperture works fine. However, some software from Nik Software will crash aperture 2 when i try to use it.
Check Nik for updates, although I believe they state that it's generally install issues. Perhaps an uninstall/reinstall will help with the crashes.

Reaction score
Thanks mike.
I was going try that but when i insert the disk. I get a message that the disk is blank.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.