Windows 7 always starts up Muted

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch 2012 Air
I just cant figure out whats causing this. i installed windows 7 on bootcamp. installed all drivers from bootcamp. installed and updated windows. Ran the bootcamp update and still every time the computer starts it starts with the speakers muted. the sounds works, i just have to UN-mute it. its just a hassle to have to UN-mute it every time i start windows.

anyone have any ideas?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
have a fiddle around in the sound control panel window.

OP
safarisurfer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch 2012 Air
been there done that. also tried uninstalling drivers then reinstalling. also tried repair option in bootcamp. uninstalled bootcamp and reinstalled. it was really screwed up. had to restore from a backup just to get sound back. still has same problem. sound is muted on boot.

now its starting to **** me off.

OP
safarisurfer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch 2012 Air
After weeks of googling i read there was an issue with 2010 macbooks and windows 7. it was the exact issue i had. every time you boot the volume was muted. the fix is to right click the speaker icon in windows choose playback devices. on the window opened highlight speaker and choose properties. choose the enhancements tab on the next window and check the disable enhancements option then click apply. from now on when you boot the sound will be enabled.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.