Fax via MPB ... (?)

Reaction score
I'd like to send (and perhaps also receive) the occasional fax but have broadband. I've seen various firms which offer this service but they appear to be designed for businesses. Can someone recommend an inexpensive provider for the home user who requires this facility from time to time?

M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
To understand, you have no land line?

OR do you have internet phone like Vonage, or Comcast?

If either of these are true, just get a Multifunction printer with a Fax option.

If not, there is this,...

ZOIPER IAX Softphone | SIP Softphone

OP
M
Reaction score
Fax ...

Thanks for the information.

I have a landline providing broadband (ADSL) via the ISP's own modem. A normal phone (and presumably a fax machine) cannot get a connection via the landline. We get free phone calls but all our eggs are in the one basket ... if their modem fails, we lose both phone and internet.

M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I have gotten Fax machines to work on broadband by simply lowering the baud rate in the Fax menu settings.

OP
M
Reaction score
Fax ...

Well, that's neat. But I don't have a fax machine.

Back in the days of dial-up and before e-mail took over from fax, I used to send a lot of faxes direct from my Mac. (Can't remember the model but could it have been LC1?)

M

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.