iPad 2 won't start iTunes when I plug it in

Reaction score
I have an iMac 27, and iPad 2 and iTunes is set to open iTunes when iPad is connected. Any clues why it does not. Running the latest iTunes 10.4.1, OS X 10.7.1 on the iMac and IOS 4.3.5 on my iPad 2.

Is there anything fix out there for this? Am I missing something?

Thanks for any input provided.

Rick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" i7 quad core, 8GB, 2TBHD, ATI 5750
Is it opening any other app (perhaps first) such as iPhoto? I find with my iPad2 that when i connect it to my iMac 27 that if I have taken photos or videos, it launches iPhoto as soon as I connect it, and due to the size of my iphoto library, sometimes this process takes several seconds. But mine does also open iTunes and begin to synchronize apps and purchases automatically.

As far as I know, actions to take when iPads are connected are only controlled through the Options menu in iTunes when clicking on a connected device (iPhone, iPad, iTouch, etc) and I'm not aware of another set of options that would specifically control launching iTunes. Is there any chance that you are using an older cable for your USB2 connection instead of the cable shipped with the iPad2?

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks

I have tried a new cable and that did not help. It is not opening any other apps when i plug the iPad 2 in. The iMac does nothing. When I open iTunes, it shows my iPad connected and it does it's normal sync and backup right away. it just won't open iTunes when i plug in the device even though it is checked /set too.

I have an older iPod that I use when riding. It does the same thing as the iPad 2. Does not open when plugged in, but is set to in iTunes

It has to be software related to the iTunes and iMac. I thought the latest iTunes update may fix it, but it did not.

Scratching my head.....:\

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Uncheck the option, click Apply, eject the iPad and disconnect.

Quit iTunes.

Re-connect the iPad, open iTunes, re-check the box and apply, eject the iPad, quit iTunes - disconnect the iPad.

Then give it a go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
E-2011 MPB 13" i5 2.3GHz 8GB RAM OSX 10.7.1 iPhone 4 iPod Classic 160 GB
Bobtomay-that last post "fix" did indeed fix this, thanks for the information!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.