Trying to get my G-4 Mac to accept a wireless connection

Reaction score
hi All,
I have been hard wired for the last 8 years with this Mac g4 that I have and now I have gotten an iPad and my son has an IPod. we hooked up a NetGear wireless router and all of out Wi-Fi devices work fine, I have my G-4 hard wired into the router but i want to be able to make this a wireless connection too. When I go into preferences and try and change ANYTHING I get a message that say's"Your network setting have been changed by another application" u press "OK" but the message will not go away and I have to FORCE QUIT preferences to get the computer back to normal. My question is how can I get this computer to be wireless like everything else. This is driving me crazy!!!
I am running a Mac G-4 system Mac OS X version 10.4.11 with 1.25 GHz power PC G4 1MB L3 cache with 1.25 GB Ram

Any kind of help would be SO appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Joe

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Do you have an Airport card installed in your Macintosh G4 computer?

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
No and now that I remember I DO need an airport card don't I.....Oh man!!!... :(

Can I still purchase them somewhere?

Thank you VERY much for the reply

Joe

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No and now that I remember I DO need an airport card don't I.....Oh man!!!... :(

Can I still purchase them somewhere?

I was kind of thinking that maybe you didn't have an Airport card. Airport cards in older G4 Mac's were totally optional at time of purchase...and many folks didn't get one (since they were pretty expensive at the time.

You need an Airport Extreme card that looks like this:
419H25BWQVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

They usually sell for around $20-$30 on e-Bay.

HTH,:)

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
I'll check it out, after I get the card what will happen, what do I have to do?
Thanks Nick

Joe

I was kind of thinking that maybe you didn't have an Airport card. Airport cards in older G4 Mac's were totally optional at time of purchase...and many folks didn't get one (since they were pretty expensive at the time.

You need an Airport Extreme card that looks like this:
419H25BWQVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

They usually sell for around $20-$30 on e-Bay.

HTH,:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually I just did some research...and to properly identify what Airport card you need...need to know the exact model "G4" computer you have.

Most 1.25ghz models do use the card pictured above...but there may be 1-2 exceptions.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
I got the Mac G-4 with the "mirrored Door" I believe.

Actually I just did some research...and to properly identify what Airport card you need...need to know the exact model "G4" computer you have.

Most 1.25ghz models do use the card pictured above...but there may be 1-2 exceptions.

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is your G4 a Mid Tower system with the Mirror doors around the DVD drives? 4 vent holes in the front? Is it a Dual or single 1.25Ghz CPU?

The model with the Firewire 800 port took the Airport Extreme but all the Info I have found says the one with just the Firewire 400 ports is a plain old Airport card.

There should be a model number somewhere on the machine on a label.

dualg4.jpg

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got the Mac G-4 with the "mirrored Door" I believe.

Like "dtravis7" mentioned...there are a few different model Powermac G4 with the 1.25ghz cpu.

- two of these models use an older Airport card (not pictured in this thread)
- the 3rd model uses the Airport card pictured earlier in this thread

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
That is the EXACT computer I have, it is a single processor, Model No M8570 is what it says by the label on the back...

Is your G4 a Mid Tower system with the Mirror doors around the DVD drives? 4 vent holes in the front? Is it a Dual or single 1.25Ghz CPU?

The model with the Firewire 800 port took the Airport Extreme but all the Info I have found says the one with just the Firewire 400 ports is a plain old Airport card.

There should be a model number somewhere on the machine on a label.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is the EXACT computer I have, it is a single processor, Model No M8570 is what it says by the label on the back...

Unfortunately...all three models I'm referring to have that model designator "8570".

Two questions to see if we can narrow things down:

- does this computer have a single or dual processors?
- does it have a "Firewire 800" port?

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Unfortunately...all three models I'm referring to have that model designator "8570".

Two questions to see if we can narrow things down:

- does this computer have a single or dual processors?
- does it have a "Firewire 800" port?

- Nick

Hi Nick,

It has a single processor and in the description of the firewire it says.... Maximum Speed: Up to 400 Mb/se...does that help?

Thanks man
Joe

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The Firewire 800 Port seems to be the key for the Airport Extreme card.

Edit: Then all I can find says a old Airport Card. After dinner I will find you a couple on Ebay.

OP
J
Reaction score
The Firewire 800 Port seems to be the key for the Airport Extreme card.

Edit: Then all I can find says a old Airport Card. After dinner I will find you a couple on Ebay.

Oh ok, so the EXTREME one is not what I want?

Thank you VERY much man.

:)
Joe

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Nick,

It has a single processor and in the description of the firewire it says.... Maximum Speed: Up to 400 Mb/se...does that help?

Just to throw my final 2 cents in. If your Powermac G4 DOES NOT have a "Firewire 800" port (just 2 Firewire 400 ports)...then like "dtravis7" mentioned...you need the older style Airport card listed/pictured in the e-Bay auctions.

You DO NOT need the Airport Extreme card pictured in the earlier post.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Here is one. Ignore the G3 part as the Airport cards are all the same that I have seen.

Apple AirPort 802.11b Wireless Card iBook G3 Mac PC24-H 630-2883/C 3892D451 | eBay

Apple AirPort WiFi Card for G3/G4, 128 Bit 630-2883/C | eBay

Here is a pic:

Thanks dtravis7 I just bought one, I will post if I get it to work after I get it.....Thank you again man!!

Nick, thank you also man, I will let you know if I get wireless access...:)

i got the old airport card from e-bay.

Great forum, thanks again guys!!

Joe

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks dtravis7 I just bought one, I will post if I get it to work after I get it.....Thank you again man!!

Nick, thank you also man, I will let you know if I get wireless access...:)

i got the old airport card from e-bay.

You're welcome Joe.:)

Installation of the Airport card is VERY easy. But one thing NOT to forget after inserting the Airport card into the computer is to attach the Airport card antenna wire to the card. It has happened before!;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.